2007 Defender; Botswana

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but have had three defenders in the past. I have bought and paid for a new 110 Defender (puma) here in Botswana, but not yet taken delivery of it (a few extras being fitted, plus registration will take some time).

Some of the problems others have experienced made me think that I should take advice on all of the things I should be checking on delivery and on a regular basis until i am used to the vehicle.

Please feel free to tell me how great they are, as I am feeling a little apprehensive seeing the troubles a few people have had :unsure: .

Thanks,

Ruaraidh

Hi:

You should look into the roof for paint/seal cracking between the front and rear panels. Big gap down the doors rubber seal. be careful when opening the air filter tap. Clips tend to fly away.

Some people had troubles with the new gearbox. Beside that, all the rest is LR.

regards

M

don't worry you will love it far better drive

just check the body work and paint check door alinement

have a good run out in it

it will be fine

dan

It's a relief to hear that from you Dan, as I have seen some of the woes that you have been through posted elsewhere, thanks

Ruaraidh

Don't fret. It is a great LR - you'll not regret it.

I've only done a few k in mine and haven't had any issues. Worth checking door alignment, though - my passenger side (LHS of vehicle) doors take more effort to shut that the RHS but my tailgate shuts much more cleanly than my 90 Td5 so it's swings and roundabouts. Overall the steel doors shut with a much more reassuring *clunk*.

I'm still suffering a fairly poor fuel economy but I do most of my driving in the cold and dark so that may be a factor.

Quality of the interior is miles ahead of the Td5 and long journeys are dispatched in surprising comfort.

Overall: big thumbs up

It's a relief to hear that from you Dan, as I have seen some of the woes that you have been through posted elsewhere, thanks

Ruaraidh

to be fair only a small amount have had problems my one must have been one of the first off the production line as a double cab

it seemed to have started out as a CSW due to having rear speaker pods fitted in the load area ?

ABS faults

gear box

clutch

oil sump pan new type to be fitted

seem to be the main problems with early 07 models most later 08 year don't seem to have any problems now

dan

As above but get the modified sump fitted if you plan on taking it anywhere other than good roads.

Of course LR say that the latest ones have had rust prevention tackled in a different manner than the earlier '07's which means that they don't require so much underbody wax (ho ho).

Thanks! It's a bit of a mission to find a good road here, my wife burst two tyres on a volvo a couple of weeks ago in a pothole on a roundabout!! :lol:

The modified sump will doubtless be required in the remoter areas which are what I bought it for. Cheers