A really good tip

trainspotter

This is the ultimate in tips.

We all know how the oil filter slaps tons of oil over the diff which then sprays it all over the place.

Well your troubles are over!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a car boot and buy a crappy old blanket, the thicker the better, and put that under the oil filter.

Arrange it so it's like a nest and put it in a heavy duty bin liner.

Loosen the oil filter off and let the oil soak into the blanket.

Voila no spills on the driveway.

Then put the blanket and the heavy duty bin liner into the bin.

JOB DONE

the cut down 1.5/2litre drinks bottles work to catch the oil filter to.

I could't undo the thing even though I had prevously fitted it 6months ago.

the steering gaurd also gets in the way.

still today is another day, just got to get 6.45 litres of oil from my 20 litre container I purchased.

maybe I can drop the lot or at least spill a fair bit down the side of the engine..

My mate Mark soaks it all up with old newspapers, then burns them like bricquettes in his garge heater, works a treat :D toasty Rangie :D

In his words, why should I spend 2 quids worth of LPG to take the old oil & newspapers to the recycling centre for some contractor to come and haul away (using more fuel) and then sell on to an oil company who will filter & separate it to sell back to us as heating oil :huh::rolleyes: .

Edited by Niall_CSK

after all you've invested in it?

I wouldn't let them wash mine let alone service it..

Monkeys in overalls....

popped into my local dealer last week and watched the so called technician bouncing a (customers)V6 Freelander off its rev limiter out of the carpark..

Very impressive... NOT!

Edited by white90

popped into my local dealer last week and watched the so called technician bouncing a (customers)V6 Freelander off its rev limiter out of the carpark..

Very impressive... NOT!

That's the main reason I try to avoid giving the keys to garages, the sheer abuse they heap on the rev counter, not to speak of the abuse they heap on your wallet!

I must say I do know what you are complaining about from previous experience (my 2 Mercedes vans on service contracts for instance) but my guys here in Antwerp have been fantastic, I get my Landy serviced by them before every big event I do and get them to check things very well, when I double check I find them spot on :) Allways doing exactly what I want when I want. They do know that I check though so maybe they take extra care?

I do the interesting and difficult bits, they do the servicing ;)

Lara.

:)

best way to solve your oil draining problems is to pop along to difflock and buy a compact drainplug.

I can change the oil in all of about 2 minutes and can even do it in my best clothing (like last saturday) as i won't get a drop anywhere!

I would not recomend the Difflock drainplug as they are made out of too softer metal and it would only take one rock to hit the plug and hey presto all your engine oil out of your engine IMHO

I would not recomend the Difflock drainplug as they are made out of too softer metal and it would only take one rock to hit the plug and hey presto all your engine oil out of your engine IMHO

Have you had this happen to you Andy? If you have rocks hitting the drainplug then surely they're hitting the sump too, which could tear a hole in it anyway - I don't think they're that thick/strong?

From the location of my sump plug, I'd say you'd need to be very very unlucky to hit it, but I haven't got a difflock thing on it yet....

Richard

The big problem is always the oil filter. but using a 2l coke bottle or equivalent works. As I don't drink either coke or the equivalents I have to steal empty bottles from my friends. They don't sell beer in 2l bottles here. B)

I've had a difflock drain plug on my challenge wagon for a year and a half now. I've not come close to belting it yet. I would suspect that you'd have a nasty surprise from hitting a normal sump plug in the same way. :o

B)

Have you had this happen to you Andy? If you have rocks hitting the drainplug then surely they're hitting the sump too, which could tear a hole in it anyway - I don't think they're that thick/strong?

From the location of my sump plug, I'd say you'd need to be very very unlucky to hit it, but I haven't got a difflock thing on it yet....

Richard

Me and my friend bought a Difflock drain plug each. My friend fitted his first, which he snapped as he tightened it ( using the torque setting supplied ), resulting in having to remove the sump to remove the broken part. They seem to be made out of a softish brass type metal.

The other problem I could see is that once you have fitted it there is then a protective cap which screwes on, and this cap to my mind sticks out too far and is just asking to be knocked off and that would just be too much of a risk for me. I take your point regarding hitting the sump, but I think the original sump plug would stand a lot more.

I suppose they are a good idea if your not planning to do any rough stuff as they do make the oil drainage a lot less messy but you are probably going to spill some from the filter anyway. IMHO.