'08 Nissan Navara rubbish motor

Les Henson

On the news this morning.

The latest Nissan Nivara only got one star in the EuroNCAP test. The air bag is slow to inflate, poor seat belt location, and the crumple zone is poor - especially with regard to the drivers feet. Nissan say that customers chould contact them if they have any problems, so I suppose if you have a crash you then go to the dealers with a bashed-in face and broken feet to complain?

Bluddy ridiculous :angry:

In the crash test video it shows the dummys head go under the air bag and nut the steering wheel!

Les.:)

Guest diesel_jim
In the crash test video it shows the dummys head go under the air bag and nut the steering wheel!

Thats coz they're dummies... they don't kow how to crash properly. :rolleyes:

'One of the main reasons why Land Rover is still able to build the Defender in this day and age is that it’s classified by the European Union and FIA as a light commercial vehicle rather than a passenger car. Because of this, Land Rover is able to bypass the NCAP passenger and pedestrian safety tests'

so in short, it hasnt been tested. but then they cant say the airbag is rubbish or the crumple zones arent any good... because it has neither :D

On the news this morning.

The latest Nissan Nivara only got one star in the EuroNCAP test. The air bag is slow to inflate, poor seat belt location, and the crumple zone is poor - especially with regard to the drivers feet. Nissan say that customers chould contact them if they have any problems, so I suppose if you have a crash you then go to the dealers with a bashed-in face and broken feet to complain?

Bluddy ridiculous :angry:

From what I hear, then engine isn't much better either ................. a lot seem to like throwing a conrod with no warning at between 60 - 90K ..............

Ian

From what I hear, then engine isn't much better either ................. a lot seem to like throwing a conrod with no warning at between 60 - 90K ..............

Ian

The Conrod issue is the previous model... The D22 which ended in 2005.

The current model (D40) had typical teething problems that required entire back axles to be replaced, dual mass flywheel / clutchs needing replaced at 12k miles... :(

This is gonna be funny innit :rolleyes:

I didn't think so at the time...in fact i still don't, but the point is I'm alive to tell the tail despite a 40mph crash into a stationary van (t**t didn't have working brake lights), and 3 cars (not one of my finer moments but we all make mistakes, and that was mine!) - the landy was totalled as I bent the chassis, however i walked away with little more than a bruised cheek and a bit of shock - testament that you don't need air bags and crumple zones, a good sturdy vehicle is just as good, but i really don't recommend decelerating from 40 - 0 in 2ft, it actually hurts a fair bit!

post-2053-1204051707_thumb.jpg

I didn't think so at the time...in fact i still don't, but the point is I'm alive to tell the tail despite a 40mph crash into a stationary van (t**t didn't have working brake lights), and 3 cars (not one of my finer moments but we all make mistakes, and that was mine!) - the landy was totalled as I bent the chassis, however i walked away with little more than a bruised cheek and a bit of shock - testament that you don't need air bags and crumple zones, a good sturdy vehicle is just as good, but i really don't recommend decelerating from 40 - 0 in 2ft, it actually hurts a fair bit!

post-2053-1204051707_thumb.jpg

That is really impressive ... 40mph crash and thats all it did.

Shame about the chassis bend .. Will ya not fix her back up ? She looks a nice van.

All it did.....imagine trying to bend a chassis...takes a fair bit of doing, it also creased almost every panel the whole way back and what you cant see from the pic sis the mashed suspension, steering, engine and front axle! She was indeed nice a lovely '04 TD5 CSW, however she was written off, and i was paid handsomely.

Guest diesel_jim
All it did.....imagine trying to bend a chassis...takes a fair bit of doing, it also creased almost every panel the whole way back and what you cant see from the pic sis the mashed suspension, steering, engine and front axle! She was indeed nice a lovely '04 TD5 CSW, however she was written off, and i was paid handsomely.

Damn! i'd have given you a set of 205's on rusty steel rims and a wad of cash for those alloys! :(:(

wonder how long before its back on the road via someone who bought it from one of the salvage dealers...

Who knows the accident was a year ago, its definitely not using its old reg plates tho. They did want an obscene amount of money for the salvage, i didn't want to buy it back, so i purchased someone elses crashed TD5 instead!

Wasn't there an insurance industry report a while back saying that you were more likely to walk away from an accident in a Defender than any other car?

It would be interesting to crash test a Defender with rockslider sills and full rollcage and see what happened :)

If all cars were equiped with a big shiney sharp spike in the centre of the steering wheel road safety would change overnight.

Will :)

The Conrod issue is the previous model... The D22 which ended in 2005.

There were not that many examples of that problem in reality.....but bad news travels fast :)

The current model (D40) had typical teething problems that required entire back axles to be replaced, dual mass flywheel / clutchs needing replaced at 12k miles... :(

Problems with dual mass flywheels.....erm.......TD5 Discovery 2 anyone? :) ......see what I mean about bad news :)

Hi Smo,

It looks like the passenger cell was pretty intact in your crash. Any footwell intrusion? Any movement of the steering wheel towards your face? I have to concur with "That's all it did?" When you look at the state of most cars which are crash tested at 30mph into a barrier during the NCAP tests, they look a lot worse than your Defender, at least externally, although they should have reasonably intact passenger cells. (unless they are a Gee-Whizz)

Martyn