One rusty bolt

Zed

Don't worry, it has nothing to do with the design of Landy hubs. That is a Suzuki rear axle and the stud/bolt being held isn't rusty.

Suzuki's don't have fully floating axles like Landys. The halfshaft flange in the middle of the second picture has four of those stud/bolts passing through the halfshaft flange from the back. These are used to hold the brake drum on with 4 nuts. The brake drum then has 5 studs to which the wheel has attached. The failure shown indicates that the 4 nuts holding the brake drum(and therefore the wheel) on to the halfshaft came undone or more likely weren't tightened in the first place. Play developed and the bolts sheared as shown.

Regards,

Diff

I have seen that before at slindon...

The rear wheel fell off along with shaft... very funny (to me) - - However I swiftly unhocked my rope (as I was pulling it out of a hole) and left - -still makes me chuckle.

Yep can be amusing! When the wheel, drum and shaft come out together, it is because the rear wheel bearing has failed or the bolts holding the backplate/wheel bearing retaining cover have come undone. On a Suzuki, the wheel bearings are a pressfit on the halfshaft and the bearings are then held in the end of the axle tube by a retaining plate with 4 bolts. Same arrangement on most small live rear axles.

Regards, Diff

So what are the advantages of this setup as opposed to the fully floating??? LR design?

What holds the halfshaft into the diff if everything is then bolted onto it? Never seen one in pieces so just wondering...

Richard

Hi Richard,

The only advantage is lighter weight design. The fully floating landrover design is heavier, but has many advantages.

The landrover has adjustable taper roller bearings which will support more weight and should last longer if maintained.

The suzuki type have ball bearing races which are not adjustable.

If you break a halfshaft or a diff on a landrover, you can remove the halfshaft and/or propshaft and still be mobile because the hub and bearings are supported by the hollow stub axle. There is no hollow stub axle on a suzuki rear axle.

As I mentioned earlier, the bearings are a press fit on the halfshaft. A retaining plate is slipped over the shaft before the bearings are pressed on, so that the retaining plate sits between the hub end of the halfshaft and the pressed on bearing. The halfshaft slides into the axle tube until the ball bearing race locates in the end of the axle tube. The bearing retaining plate is then bolted to the axle tube by four bolts. This plate holds the bearings and therefore the halfshaft into the axle.

Many toyotas, shoguns etc have this arrangement as well as series 1 landrovers(I think).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Edited by Diff

Laplanders use the same setup, its the reason that (until recently) you can't run BIG tyres on 303 & 304 drops, the flex generated by the extra leverage causes the lower portal gear to skip and have a squabble with the upper gear

mundane fact of the day

But now you can?