Roof rack decking

Paul64

Hello,

I have just been down the timber yard to get the marine ply for the roof rack. 260cm long and 137cm wide. We had a difference of opinion on the thickness. I thought 10mm would be enough, but the guy there thought 15mm would be better for standing on. It took two of us to get it on the roof and felt heavier than I really wanted up there. I could start a separate thread on the cost!

In your opinion what thickness would be adequate?

Cheers,

Paul

Marine ply ! expensive stuff , I would of used WBP its ell of a lot cheaper .

What is WBP?

The name of the stuff I bought which they said was the nearest thing to marine ply was Siebdruckplatte Birke BFU 100, whatever that means?????. Looks good, feels heavy, mortgage required!

I think he is planning to sleep on it Keef. :) Mesh may not be very comfy - unless Paul has a weak bladder that is! :)

When I built my quad trailer I used 19mm WBP for the base. The outer layer has de-laminated where it has stayed wet but it is otherwise fine. WBP with a good coat of paint would be great, as long as it is uncovered and can dry out once the rain stops. Since it is on a roofrack, give it a good thick coat of paint and then throw hand-fulls of sand on the wet paint, knock off the excess, allow to dry and repaint. Hey-presto, non-slip, very safe for working at height.

Chris

i used 10mm marine ply on mine,,,,,,,,,,,2 years down the line it was still as good as the day i put it up there.... i had to coat it every year as it got slippery :lol: but that was a 10 min job with the anti slip paint.......anymore than 10m is a waiste in my honest opinion. i had all sorts mounted up on mine .....and i put it through hell and back ;)

How thick ??

I use 6mm WPB. It's not carrying any load at all. Or it shouldn't be. The rails on the roofrack do the load carrying.

Mind you I'll have to renew the ply on minee this year. The African sun has werecked it. I'm not suprised really after three trips out there.

mike

As another option, I used some of the stuff they use to to make advertising billboards (at least, it came from a signwriting type place). It's about 5mm thick plastic sandwiched between two thin layers of ali. Very flexible but if there is enough support from the rack then it weighs virtually nothing. I've also put anti-slip tape on otherwise it gets interesting when it's wet. Sorry, can't remember the cost. Exact Fabrications got it from the unit next door to them when they were making my rack.

JP

Thanks,

The coating on mine is melamine. The owner of the saw mill has an expedition equipped Defender. However, he wasn't there when I went this afternoon. Shame as I'm sure he would have given me a discount. He recommended this material, although we never discussed the thickness. It was only when it was cut in the mill and came out on a trolley that my heart sank. Trolley = Heavy!

Anyway it is up, bolted down and waiting for the tent that I bought last weekend.

The stuff on Ifor Williams trailer beds in Phenolic resin impregnated ply and a 8x5 sheet cost £135. A sheet of 18mm shuttering ply comes in at £14 and a tin of Yacht varnish is £6.

At least you know you can jump around up there now with impunity

I don't feel quite so bad about it today! I have a documentary film maker coming out in May to film large carnivores. He requires a platform on my vehicle to set up his tripod camera and hide. More than enough room up there now! My roof rack is made of aluminium, so will offset the weight of the decking a little.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul may I hi-jack this thread a litte. Thanks.

I'm afer some 5/6mm thick ply or whatever but alli covered for the lid of my top box. Apart from the shipping company damaging it the sun has really played havok with the paint and ply.

Considering it's only done one trip it's knackered.

I do need the 5/6 mm thickness because of the way I made the lid fit.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

mike

The stuff on Ifor Williams trailer beds in Phenolic resin impregnated ply and a 8x5 sheet cost £135. A sheet of 18mm shuttering ply comes in at £14 and a tin of Yacht varnish is £6.

At least you know you can jump around up there now with impunity

What he said

I have ply delivered to my sites in all shape and sizes 6mm,12mm,18mm,25mm,32mm.

12mm is too think it will be fine at first but over time it will soften, that's what it did on the last CT110 roof rack I fitted it to. How ever this is the size I fitted to my CT Freelander and it lasted fine but has several coats of paint.

18mm shutter ply or WBP will last much longer but paint it so it last even longer and take heavy stuff being dropped on it better(you would never guess I'm a builder would you).

I will try and get a photo of it later. There is an outer weather proof melamine shell so does not need any painting. A couple of my mates have had a look at it and think it will be hard wearing and being that thick will take a fair bit of punishment. I can live with the cost but the weight is off putting.