swivel ball joint leaking?

sheppy

hi, my '89 90 is leaking some form of oil from the swivel pin housing and the swivel ball. any ideas on bits to replace around the area? possibly change the axel oil??

Thanks, Ben

Look in the tech archive. You'll need a new swivel seal.

You can either do it the quick way or the slow way.

Quick way:

remove the seal retainer bolts, cut old seal to remove. Cut new seal and place in position with the cut at the top. Superglue together and refit the retainer.

Slow way:

Remove track rod. Remove brake caliper.

Unbolt the swivel ball from the axle and replace the seal.

Here's a

of the slow way, done quickly :)

(Edited to add: looking at that video again, I didn't remove the caliper. I removed the flexi to the caliper. Note the plastic over the brake fluid reservoir to minimise loss)

If anyone just says to drain the oil and replace with one-shot grease it is the sign of a bodger!

Replace the seal in either of the manners described and then choose what to refill with (i.e. the correct type of oil or grease) but fix the cause of the leak first as what can let oil out can let water & muck in and that doesn't do the internals a lot of good.

If you decide to do it the longer (proper) way and strip the swivel it is a good opertunity to check the swivel pre-load as it is quite simple but can make a lot of difference to the handling. All you need is a spring-balance (mine was £4.99 from a fishing shop) and the proceedure is shown in the Haynes. When you have done one side, you will find it quick & easy to do the other!