series 1 leaf spring..help

storm99

I am trying to order parts for a 1953 series 1.

I have quotes from craddocks and Dunsfold but they appear to differ!!

Front leaf springs from Craddocks will cost me 76 pound each if they are 'narrow' or just 28 pound each if they are normal. How do i tell the difference? I can see on thear website that the 'narrow' ones are for 1948-51 models..have i been misquoted?

Rear leaf springs. 1948-1953 are 110 pounds each!!

But only 36 pound each if SWB 1954-84. Are these for a 88' SWB and therefore dont fit a series 1 80'? If so why are they advertised under their series 1 parts list? Confused!!

Anybody got any ideas or advice on how i can do this within a budget? 220 pound for rear springs is a lot! Anyone got a good used set for sale?

And neither site can help me with bulkhead outriggers..can anyone out there?

Thanks, Mark (in denmark and itching to get started on this project)

Not sure on the front springs but the rear springs on early landrovers are narrower than later ones. I think when the series 1 wheelbase changed the rear springs were changed for wider ones so 86" or 88" wheelbase series one would use the same as a series 2 or 3

If you're not in too much of a rush I will have a set of rear springs coming off mine in the near future (got to sort out new rear hangers for my parabolics first though)

as for bulkead outriggers, try Mostly Series One - I sold him a chassis recently without documents and he may have these available, can't say for certain though.

Not sure on the front springs but the rear springs on early landrovers are narrower than later ones. I think when the series 1 wheelbase changed the rear springs were changed for wider ones so 86" or 88" wheelbase series one would use the same as a series 2 or 3

If you're not in too much of a rush I will have a set of rear springs coming off mine in the near future (got to sort out new rear hangers for my parabolics first though)

as for bulkead outriggers, try Mostly Series One - I sold him a chassis recently without documents and he may have these available, can't say for certain though.

Thanks, do you have a link or web address for mostly? Let me know when you have the springs off, if its not too far ahead in the future i may buy. Mark

Hi, your rear springs will be the wide type for this year, the front springs you will have to measure acroos the flat this will be either around 2.5"_3" for the narrow and about 0.5-1" wider for the wide type, if its the wide type normal series 2,2a springs will fit.

The bulkhead outriggers are availble at www.lrseries.com and they also stock the springs under the correct part numbers as in your parts book (the outrigger i am not to sure of sorry).

Hope this helps.

If you need 80-inch springs, so 1 3/4" wide.

Quote from James Taylors 'Original Land Rover Series 1'

" Three different types of front road springs are used on 80-inch Land Rovers. Springs are interchangeable from one side of the vehicle to the other, but one type of spring is not interchangeable with another. All types have 9-leaves, and all have a black heat treated finish. The major change in the 80's front road springs came in the summer of 1950, when the original 'narrow' 1 3/4-inch springs with swinging shackles at the front were replaced by 'wide' 2 1/2-inch springs with shackles at the rear."

86-inch will be 2 1/2-inches wide.

2.5"_3" for the narrow and about 0.5-1" wider
:blink:

Les.

Dont know if this will happen on a 80" with wide springs but when I fitted S2,2a,3 springs on my 1955 86" I found the trackrod rubbed on one of the clamps on the front spring. The clamp on the original springs was further forward.