Gearbox oils

northernchris

As far as i know mtf75 was only speced by the factory for freelander gearboxes.

At the main dealers i worked at we used IRD in all the r380's, lt230's and all the axles.

It works very well, had a friend of mine with very bad syncro on 2nd in an r380, changed the oil to atf and it got better, Then when i'd borrowed ( :)) enough from work i changed it for IRD it made a huge difference, you almost had to try to get it to crunch.

Thanks - though for info, the only time I've seen it referred to regarding the NV4500 is to say: "Always use Syntorq, NOT Syntrans"...!

Which is why I contacted Castrol and sorted out the best possible equivalent.

Good thinking though!

Al. :)

Al, this "Syntorq, NOT Syntrans" has intrigued me so I've contacted an oil analyst I know in the states who has had Syntorq LT analysed in the past. Unfortunately Terry won't be back at the office for a week or so, but so far it sounds as if Syntorq and Syntrans may be similar, if not the same as Syntorq is a Euro (German) Castrol lube.

It is a pretty trick brew, being a PAO/ester with the esters being derived from PAO base oils and mimicking VII's, without the downside of shearing as VII's do. It's a similar chemistry to SLX/Formula R 0W-30 engine oil.

Rick, that is very interesting - keep us posted on that.

I'm hoping that it'll turn out to be 99.999% identical to orange juice, cos it's a bit of a pain running a box which requires specific (and hard to find) lube.

I can't remember where I saw the 'not syntrans' thing - but it was on the net, so the degree of reliability is anyone's guess...

Maybe your bloke there can figure out which of the alternatives available in the UK he would use...? (See my previous post).

Cheers, Al.

Al, apparently they did a full analysis as a colleague was developing his own range of PAO/ester gear lubes, and in their opinion the Syntorq LT can be matched in specs by a few other oils around the 11-12.5 cSt range @ 100*C. Quite a few NV4500 users fill with Redline MTL, or a brew of MTL/MT90, in about the same ratios as I use in the R380.

<edit>

the other thing to watch with Castrol is that they use different names in different markets for the same lubricant, and conversely use the same name in different markets for lubes that are patently different, and when you ring them for advise, not too many on the other end of the phone really know their stuff.