35" simexes to a 90

in place of my 33" BFG MTs I am going to fit some 35"x10.5x16 simex ET2s to my 1997 90 which has an OME 2" lift.

just thinking though about what effect the rims will have on what I may have to cut - I currently run 16x 7" modulars - will these have to be changed for something like mach5 which have some more offset???

I assume that extended bump stops will be need to prevent the rubbing under the tub?

Also expect that i will have to wind out the steering lock stops?

Exhaust tail pipe will have to be re-routed

Any views , or pics of 90s on 35 x10.5 x 16s would be appreciated.

thanks Dave

ps first ever post!

in place of my 33" BFG MTs I am going to fit some 35"x10.5x16 simex ET2s to my 1997 90 which has an OME 2" lift.

just thinking though about what effect the rims will have on what I may have to cut - I currently run 16x 7" modulars - will these have to be changed for something like mach5 which have some more offset???

I assume that extended bump stops will be need to prevent the rubbing under the tub?

thanks Dave

ps first ever post!

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

You're doing pretty much what I did to mine when I went from 7.50x16 SAGs to 35x10.5x16 Simex. For me both sets were on 7x16 8 spokes and I had NO lift at the time. At that stage all I did was a bit of fender trimming (there's a thread running on that at the moment) and steering stops. They did (and still do) rub the rear tub on full articulation but I'm living with it until I cut the tub (don't like extended bump stops personaly). Exhaust gets the mud wiped off it but I won't be altering mine to clear the tyres.

You'll enjoy the difference :D

thanks Dave

ps first ever post!

As long as you don't run alloys or standard Land Rover rims then you will be fine

Modulars are a good set to have on with Simex. Cheapish and a good off set. Had them on mine as you can see below.

You will have to wind out the steering lock stops. But a five min Job to do.

I had a OME 2" lift with no extra bump stops and this gave me no problem

Did the exhaust more out of appoch angle . Stayed where it was for two years with the simex on with no problem

tor2.jpg

tor4.jpg

Hi David

Welcome on board. Here's a pic of the hybrid, now owned by Tim, TJ101. On 35" Simex ET's and also 33" BFG's.

RRBumper019.jpg

RRBumper020.jpg

frontoffside.jpg

roofupside.jpg

You'll need to cut the spats at bottom 20%.

With 2" lift you should be ok on tyres rubbing. If bump stops are set correctlytostop shocks compressing too much you shouldn't have a problem with the tyres.

You'll have to adjust lock stops to stop the Simex's rubbing on radius arms.

I know a number of people run 35" Simex's on modular's so must be ok. I don't have personal experience so can't reallycomment apart from that turning circle is going to be better with the greater off-set of the Mach 5's. This will take your tyres outside of the original spats. Strictly this is illegal, althoughI never had a problem at MOT time.

Cheers

Steve :)

thanks Dave

ps first ever post!

hi dave

the first difference i found with simex is that you can drive slower than you used to.and on the road you will have no choice but to drive slower.there is a world of difference between these and other tyres.i run mine at 20 psi off road and the traction is excellent.

i got my 36s and made them fit(on a disco)

2 of my friends run them,but they are on 15 inch modulars with-22mm offset

go on spoil yourself

cant wait to see that vid

mike

cheers Guys

like the before and after piccys ; a world of difference.I must say that i do like them mach5s , but i think that I will have to make do with the modulars I have. Should look ok, as it seems to in the pic of Alis green 90.

still a little confused with regards to the extended bumpstops as with my 33" bfgs there is evidence of rubbing on the inside of the tub on the ribs at the top - may have to just try it to see.

Mike trust you to ask about the video on here - came on here to get away from that !!!! lol

Dave

:D

still a little confused with regards to the extended bumpstops as with my 33" bfgs there is evidence of rubbing on the inside of the tub on the ribs at the top - may have to just try it to see.

yes the simex will rub here. If you don't want it to then you either need to put extended bump stops on or mod the tub. Many of us just put up with the rubbing and progressive distortion it causes to the tub.

Can i join my 32" rub the rear tub too but they didnt on standard suspension as the coils used to bind up before hand, however with HD RR springs they are more flexible and rub nicely, just need to get the extended bump stops sorted properly at some point.

Jon

With modulars and an OME 2" lift you'll be fine although on articulaton you'll rub the spats a little

I wouls be more concerned about front prop vibration though through the gearbox.

A discovery II front prop or double cardon version will sort it out However factor in another 200 quid plus on top of the over priced SIMEX.

If your worried about bumpstear too think about bending the existing radius arms to compensate or buy new from QT :blink:

Will, what size simex are you running?

35x10.5x16s although I'm probably going to switch to 35x11.5x15s in the next few months (more sidewall flex and easier to get rims with a sensible offset off the shelf). Arches have been trimmed slightly but they don't need much.

Edited to add, I've got about 2" of lift using OME.

Edited by will_warne

With modulars and an OME 2" lift you'll be fine although on articulaton you'll rub the spats a little

I wouls be more concerned about front prop vibration though through the gearbox.

A discovery II front prop or double cardon version will sort it out However factor in another 200 quid plus on top of the over priced SIMEX.

If your worried about bumpstear too think about bending the existing radius arms to compensate or buy new from QT :blink:

I already have the 2" lift so how are the raduis arm and prop vibration gonna now be a problem?

• 3 weeks later...
As long as you don't run alloys or standard Land Rover rims then you will be fine

Sorry folks, going back a bit here. Basic questions I know but please bear with me :blink:

What's the issue with 35 x 10.50 tyres on standard LR steels/alloys. Is it purely restricted steering lock? 10.50 is about the same width as 265s which were a factory fit option on (at least) 300Tdi so the width in itself can't be a big issue?

Or does the positive offset of the standard LR wheels cause a problem with the height of the tyres elsewhere?

Just keen to get a better understanding cause I'm considering going to 33" on standard LR alloys -- 255/85-R16 BFG MT or 285/75-R16 Grizzly Claws and yes I do know that 285 would be better on a 7.5" or 8" rim but Bronco have said the 285 GCs are OK on a 7" rim :P

Thanks.

285s will be fine on a 7" rim and anyway 16" rims that are more than 7" wide are like hens teeth unless you go for expensive ones like Mach 5s which I guess you could probably get made as 8x16? - the only other one I know of offhand are the 8.5x16 Compomotive AT alloys and some of the Discovery 2 alloys which are no good to you anyway.

I run 265/75R16 on Freestyle alloys most of the time and they touch the radius arms (just) on full lock (the vehicle was originally fitted with 205s). However, until I lifted the suspension, as I already said they also touched the top of the wheelboxes in the back on full articulation (wheels off ground kind of full artic) so 35" would hit the wheelboxes an inch and a half sooner....can't see how offset will help you here though! 265/75R16 are about a 32x10.50R16 in the old money.

Having seen Simexes the tread width looks to me to be bigger than most "normal" 10.50s (the 10.50 is of course section width not tread width, tread width of a normal 10.50 is only about 8-9" IIRC) though I never got around to measuring them.

Thanks for the info.

Should probably have made it clear that Big Red already has a 2" (Procomp) suspension lift, but still has the 265/70-R16 (31") Colway MTs it had when we bought it.

Really need to go to a bigger tyre size -- do get into some rough stuff but don't do challenges so 33" seems the best compromise with the 285/75-R16 GC appearing to be a reasonable mix of off-road ability and cost. Lots of folk around here using GCs and reports are almost all positive.

Also don't want to buy more wheels cause I've already got six LR Freestyle alloys :blink:

Didn't think 285/75-R16 on standard LR alloys with 2" suspension lift would be a problem -- was just trying to understand why everyone seems to recommend NOT using 35"s with standard LR wheels.

Cheers,