BFG siping?

Not seen that for a long time. Don't know if they even do it now but most truck places used to be able to recut a tyre. Guess its the same technique just applied before the first layer of tread has dissappeared.

When I went wheeling with Yousef, in Colorado, he was running siped MTRs (sipes are very narrow cuts - the above tyre is grooved). He said there are tyre places in CO that will sipe them for a pretty reasonable price.

In other countries you have to do them yourself. The tyre grooving tools like john showed use u-shaped blades. On many models you can flip the blade upside down and use it to sipe (2 cuts at a time).

The tyres below have been siped.

http://www.yellowdefender.com/accessories/...ls/Mvc-178x.jpg

siped%20tires.jpg

Edited by isuzurover

When I went wheeling with Yousef, in Colorado, he was running siped MTRs (sipes are very narrow cuts - the above tyre is grooved). He said there are tyre places in CO that will sipe them for a pretty reasonable price.

In other countries you have to do them yourself. The tyre grooving tools like john showed use u-shaped blades. On many models you can flip the blade upside down and use it to sipe (2 cuts at a time).

The tool I showed can sipe or groove. The blade turns over for siping.

Professional siping machines mount the tire and have a powered blade. This sipes the tire fast. Unfortunately, it costs around $20 per tire and they will only do it if the tire is not used.

So for the same price, you can have your own tool and do any pattern you want.