Sleeping in the back of my 90

'94 200Tdi Defender 90 County

Decided that I ideally want to be able to sleep in the back. Given that I'm 6'4", I figured that a MUD Defender Bulkhead Removal Bar would be a good idea.

However, are there any load guards that would suit this arrangement or would I have to make my own?

Also, as I have a cubby box which holds my stereo, iPod etc, I haven't quite figured out the sleeping on a level part. Really don't want to move the stereo but thinking about possibly roof mounting it, then having the extra space in the middle. Having said that the 'box is pretty useful for maps etc etc

Also, with roof mounting, running wiring up could be an issue...

Additionally I ideally want to keep at least one bench seat in the back, then have the "bed" and storage down the other side...

I want to avoid a full roof rack for as long as possible due to having to use the Landy about town (multi-story car parks) as well.

Will it be easier just to get a roof rack and roof tent (although very expensive)?

I currently have a caranex tent that comes off the back, but it isn't hugely wind resistant (one of the cross poles bent last summer), and water comes in through the gutters on the Landy. Efforts to block the gutters up with blu-tack as suggested haven't met with much success in anything more that a light shower...

Alternatively are there any alternatives that I've missed?

Cheers

'94 200Tdi Defender 90 County

Decided that I ideally want to be able to sleep in the back. Given that I'm 6'4", I figured that a MUD Defender Bulkhead Removal Bar would be a good idea.

However, are there any load guards that would suit this arrangement or would I have to make my own?

Also, as I have a cubby box which holds my stereo, iPod etc, I haven't quite figured out the sleeping on a level part. Really don't want to move the stereo but thinking about possibly roof mounting it, then having the extra space in the middle. Having said that the 'box is pretty useful for maps etc etc

Also, with roof mounting, running wiring up could be an issue...

Additionally I ideally want to keep at least one bench seat in the back, then have the "bed" and storage down the other side...

I want to avoid a full roof rack for as long as possible due to having to use the Landy about town (multi-story car parks) as well.

Will it be easier just to get a roof rack and roof tent (although very expensive)?

I currently have a caranex tent that comes off the back, but it isn't hugely wind resistant (one of the cross poles bent last summer), and water comes in through the gutters on the Landy. Efforts to block the gutters up with blu-tack as suggested haven't met with much success in anything more that a light shower...

Alternatively are there any alternatives that I've missed?

Cheers

I also considered this as i work night shifts :lol:

I decided if i was gonna do it, i would mount a piece of angle iron on the back door, then cut 4 boards out of 3/4" ply, Cut the sides out of some box section to allow the 4 boards to become 1 again and make the bed.

The bed will stretch all the way from the back door, over the bulkhead, remove the headrests, and will sit on top of the dashboard.

Airbed thingy from argos on top and a nice easily removable bed made.

Thing that stopped me doing it was the cold. So if you find a small and cheap way of providing good sleeping heat then i'd like to know.

Them webasto things are just a bit too pricey for me.

I've toyed with using a 2 meter piece of roller shutter dooring type material or just ally section linked with bungee cord that would roll up to a long tube and stow on a roof rack, then rest over tailgate and bulhead to make a firm bed.

It's only firm if you get the slats going in the right direction though.... :rolleyes:

Amazing, I reckon if I get the canvas off an old military stretcher I'll be sorted!

Cheers guys, I'm obviously very inept at using the search function :(

think the hairy one (mr stripy) used canvas the poles are made from some sort of plastic

and join together in the middle

pm him if you need more info