Reverse gear problem

wormhole

Posting this for a friend, any help would be appreciated...

I have an Ex-Army '91 Defender 90 Hardtop LHD - its got nearly 70km on the clock.

Have you any idea on where my 'reverse' has gone? - mine doesnt seem to have one anymore?!

Is this an everyday problem on landy gearboxes? I am new to this landy game.

My gearbox is 'one with reverse next to 1st' - this narrows it down to 1 of 2 according to the Ashcroft web site - dont

know which one though (LT77?). Was too cold this morning to look at it.

Is it it likely to be the gearbox or the setup of it - still goes into fwd gears so didnt think it was the clutch

or selector??

I've emailed him back as I'm almost sure it will be the LT77 - (unless its a V8?!) does anyone know a common problem that will cause this! <_< - as usual its now winter, possibility of snow to play in and LR's start playing up :rolleyes::D

Thanks

Matt

my r380 had the same problem. It turned out to be the cup on the end of the reverse selector rod at the gear stick end had come loose. Ther e is a grub screw which has a habit of comeing undone. Removal of tunnel and the bit under the gear stick and a tweek with an allen key fixed it . I dont know if lt77 are the same but if your freind is mechanically minded at all it is a cheap and easyish place to start. Dw

my r380 had the same problem. It turned out to be the cup on the end of the reverse selector rod at the gear stick end had come loose. Ther e is a grub screw which has a habit of comeing undone. Removal of tunnel and the bit under the gear stick and a tweek with an allen key fixed it . I dont know if lt77 are the same but if your freind is mechanically minded at all it is a cheap and easyish place to start. Dw

That was the garages initially diagnosis when my mother's discovery (300Tdi) refused to go into 3rd or 4th - when they got it apart they decided it was something inside the gearbox. I think the current thinking is worn synchromesh. No idea if that's actually likely on a well looked after 120k truck - seems a bit poor to me.

at 70 kilometers, it should be under warranty, shouldn't it? get a bunch of mates into the LR garage chanting 'new gearbox, there's only one new gearbox' etc :D :D :D

And the mechanics will tell you... "Are you stoopid? From '91 and you expect warranty?"

Even if you do not drive the vehicle, there is a time limit for warranties as well...

then change the chant 'sale of goods act, there's only one sale of goods act, one sale of goods act, there's only one sale of goods act' etcetera :lol:

Besides, it being MoD, bring a bunch of squaddies should discourage the garage from being so insulting.

Unless you forgot to get it serviced, while keeping the distance driven so low, then you really are stupid ;)

When I fitted the new (second hand, thanks Flyer) gearbox in my 90 I found that I could not get reverse. This caused me some distress after all the drama modifying and fitting it. I started taking it apart in the car and discovered that it was because the reversing light switch was screwed in too far. I unscrewed it and hey-presto, normal service was resumed. It would be worth your friend checking that this is not the problem and that there is no other simple cause - loose grub-screw as described above, foreign body in the same place - 4 screws and the gearstick houseing comes off revealing all.

Chris

EX-MOD and only 70,000 kms? Ha ha, don't make me laugh.

It will have done 70,000 just nipping to the shops and back for tea bags. It will have got a new speedo after the first 160,000 kms then possibly another shortly after when that one failed. The casual way they throw parts at these cars just has to be seen to be believed.

if the screw in rev light switch isint the issue you can have my LT77 fully working for £75, 136k miles.

Hi JST

Might be interested in your box, what is the gerachange like - any strange behaviour?