Have you ever been recovered by a horse!

Paul64

What impressed me was how the horse guaged the weight first by a couple of short hard tugs. Once it felt the LR move it quickly gathered pace to maintain the momentum.

That horse knew exactly what he was doing and seemed to enjoy it too!

can anyone hazzard (an educated) guess of how much weight that horse had to pull? I wasnt badly stuck, just couldnt get over a little bump created by my tyrespushing mud up front and it was only a light incline.
Well, as no-one else has had a go, I'll use the education of others ...

The vehicle is stationary, even if you were using 'drive assist', which I think you were, the vehicle was still stationary. So, at first pull the horse is pulling a deadweight, the drive assist has zero value.

I recall a table has been posted, created with the winchers in mind, and possibly now in the Tech Archive, that gives the pull required in all conditions, from clean flat road to steep uphill and floorpan deep in the mire. Snip

You know the weight of your vehicle, and between you, you can make the best judgement of which multipliers to use.

You will find it useful to print the table out if you are going to succumb to the delights of an electric or hydraulic horse. :-))

I'll let someone else find the table, a wincher probably has it bookmarked!!

Thanks for the fun BTW.

As no-one else has obliged, I thought I'd close the circle and find it myself, via the Tech Archive where there is an agreed link to a very comprehensive article on Pirate 4x4. IMHO this could form the basis of a compulsory test paper for those intending to use the hundreds or thousands of pounds worth of kit they have just bought.

Actually, it could be usefully read before spending ANY money, and a refresher taken BEFORE the kit is bolted up.

And you are correct, I don't anticipate fitting a winch on my 38A. <grin>

As far as this question is concerned, scroll down to the section 'Calculating the force of a recovery operation:"

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

Cheers.

Well my weight last time I was on a weigh bridge with an average amount of kit was around 1300/1400kg. The slope was only slight so I put it as 15%. The mud was not so deep either so I put it at just up the side walls. So the horse was pulling about 1750KG.. Is that good for a horse that size?