Winch brakes

BogMonster

Following Mo's "winch web" thread I was just re-reading the article in the July LRO about synthetic vs. wire.

Many electric winches have brakes within the drum, which overheat when you retrieve at a rate greater than 20 feet a minute. If you use synthetic then you have to winch, then rest to let it cool down, and winch again

Surely not? I have owned 3 winches (Husky then 8274 now Milemarker) none of which had the brake in the drum, but unless it's broken (and I'm sure many are) the brake on a winch that does have one shouldn't be dragging when you're winching IN, surely...? apart from anything else it would be reducing the pulling power of the winch. The problem with overheating when winching OUT under power (e.g. lowering against the brake) is obvious and you need to be careful, but I always thought it was OK to use them the other way because the brake disengaged when winching in...?

If it was just written by somebody working for the mag I would have dismissed it as probably being bbbbbxxx but it was attributed to two fairly well known names in the challenge world who I would have thought knew what they were talking about (though the near-accident they referred to when a rope melted was in fact when winching out)

So which is correct?

If the version in the mag is correct then it would mean you really couldn't safely use plasma on any winch with an in-drum brake, even if you didn't plan to do any lowering out.

Not a problem for me, just curious...

Planetary style winches have in drum brakes. They are used the hardest with powering out under load. The brakes should disemgage when powering in.

The Husky is a worm drive, no brakes.

8274, external disc brake, spur gear drive.

Milemarker, no brakes, relies on the hydraulics to limit speed.

Planetraries:

All Warn recreational winches other than the 8274

Milemarker electric winches.

All Superwinch electrics other than Husky

Ramsey except RE series.

Most other no name brand jobbies........

Here is a sample parts view for a Warn XD9000, note where the brake is

All Superwinch electrics other than Husky

Not quite! All the Ep and Epi range have an 'in gearbox' brake as does the DV come-up/Premium/Premier as they are all the same.

The Ramsey DV200 is worm. Most WORN WARN commercials are disc brake.

The LROi quote is a simply a quote taken from almost all winch manuals, like not powering in for more that 30 second continuously or always free spooling out or even nver wheel assisting.

Edited by honitonhobbit

The LROi quote is a simply a quote taken from almost all winch manuals, like not powering in for more that 30 second continuously or always free spooling out or even nver wheel assisting.

So it was B.......s then. I thought as much - just checking I hadn't been misleading people I had previously told "OK to use plasma but be careful winching out".

Of course in reality the brake in XD9000i's usually seems to be seized up anyway so you probably can't winch in without it getting hot... :blink:

There have been the odd very rare cases of plasma cooking when lowered for long distances/times down steep drops. But one or two incidents become blown out of proportion with urban legends apportioned to all and sundry during 'pub' talk. When you talk to the synthetic rope suppliers they very rarely get any claims for melted rope - so unless loads of users are just putting up with it, it doesn't happen that often.

IIRC Nick Field managed it quite well with an X9 and some Bowrope - about 70 feet or so. What I don't know is what state the cones were in etc.

WORN Warn cone brakes on the HS/XD series tend to be somewhat prone to not working properly so can get a tadge warm as can Ramsey Platinums.