1st Round of the AWDC "Howling Wolfe" Roll Call

Well I had a great day. Bitching for Mr Whibly for the first time in my first challenge, and with a good result.

Not really knowing what to expect it was a bit of an eye opener, but I can only describe it as an awesome experience.

Bring on the next one, hoping it won't be so cold and wet, now that the family jewels have decended to their rightful place. :i-m_so_happy:

A few photos.....

post-74-1205766857_thumb.jpg

post-74-1205766777_thumb.jpg

Looks like everyone had a good event, NAJW and the crew(s) must have worked hard to put this together.

......a couple of winch Q's...what are these winchs? ^^..are they Garwoods?

How much line is on there?

What is the line pull on the bottom and the top?

Any problems with the line 'cutting into' loose layers underneath with what appears to be a LOT of

rope?

Finally is this what you have on the front of your 90 Nige (HFH)?

Must find time to come along to one or two of these, looks like a great day out

Cheers

Steveb

edited to say d'oh the pics are'nt there ......it's the one in SimonR's first lot of photo's 4 down and acouple up from the bottom......looks like front and rear of the same vehicle....

Looks like an amazing event.......

I unfortunately was unable to attend (Prepping vehicle for the Ultimate challenge next weekend)

But i would like to say a BIG well done to everyone, but in particular..............

Chris Abel First overall+class win

Adrian Turner Second overall+class win

Ben Hollis Third overall

All using Gigglepin Twin Motor winches :D

Congratulations

Jim :)

I'll dig up the specs but its a Uprated Industrial Recovery winch, rated at around 14500 pull @ 2500 PSI and around 60 LPM max flow, has the OCV Bolted to the motor directly -running through a Superwinch H14 PTO and Pump and modified H14 Tank, the rear (now broken :lol:) Milemarker is faster (around 60 ft Min max) and run off the same system with a second control valve, you can, and we did until the rear went bang yesterday- operate both at the same time, which can be fun, get it wrong and I could have a 130 LR :lol:Both I have modded to have air operated freespool which is a godsend :) from on off switches from within the cab, the front has around 100 ft 12mm plasma the rear 110 ft 11mm plasma every pipe is double braided 1/2 BSP the main feed bigger at 1.1/4in BSP

The only prob is drive assist doesn't really work, but the pull of both is quite something.....

I would normally say you can work them all day without a prob, but yesterday sort of p*ssed on that firework early on :(, and we had to use the front from then on for everything.

Oh and the front winch is "VFH" (VeryFurKin Heavy) too :lol:

Nige

I have re-posted the event results as unfortunately I made an admin error in the results and hence the prizegiving.

The correct placings for Class 3 are as follows:

1st Graham Fuller - 1250 points

=2nd Paul Bass - 1200 points

=2nd Gavin Lawrence - 1200 points

4th Sue Gawne - 1000 points

Apologies to Graham for the error which meant that he missed out on his moment of glory at the prizegiving after two years of trying.

And commiserations to Sue Gawne whose disbelief at getting 3rd place proved to be well founded :(

Thanks for the reply Nige,

It looked kinda chunky wedged in the front of your 90 :P , is the drive motor the std for that winch?

.....better not keep you too long, you've got a winch to apply some HFH unbrako engineering to. If you need any measurements I have a MM in bits in the shed atm.

Cheers

Steveb

Well done Chris and Simon, superb drive to be so far clear of every one else. Well done Saley and Carl. I tried phoning John for ages on the way home, he must have been telling the world of his trophy as he was engaged constantly.

We broke the rear winch rope twice before even getting a punch and had to swap fairleads, then bust yet another CV, reversing on full lock is not recommended even on Volvo portals. Then to put us out completely, the pan hard rod came together with a steering ram hose and we lost steering.

Great site, well organised and well thought out as usual. I think the time limit on the winch ss was a little low as almost everyone who did it scored a lot less than most people who did the other ss.

My apologies to the lady marshall on the trial ss as I got a little irrate when I "missed my slot". You guys do a great job and it is really much appreciated.

Alan

a great truck, very capable and looked the dogs dangly bits, even awesome, but wheres the tree clip you cant show half a story! certainly made it easier for us following without it there!

If he hadnt had the tree issue he would have won that stage hands down in my opinion.

was it this section chris http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rqP9D7QysVY hope the link works not to good at this

Thats it! :o:rolleyes: I did not want to run the risk of rolling the truck in the water, we abandoned that punch and went and found a few more easier ones. :P

Rob Tunner's truck was going well on that special considering it was his first time out getting used to the truck, i think with a bit more time behind the wheel he will be hard to beat with the 4 wheel steer on the tight specials.

ss 2 portal pete http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WdnWL3FC99Q when the others have uploaded i will put a link on here.

cheer kev

I'm glad someone got that on video, hope someone got the second half although it was pretty heartbreaking to see him battling with that tree after he'd got through 7 gates in just over 2 minutes.

Like James said he would have absolutely creamed the section if it wasn't for the tree.