The definitive Bobtail SVA thread

bishbosh

This thread will be very slow in the update department I expect as I will be dealing with the DVLA, but here is the story so far:

If you bobtail a Range Rover (or Disco for that matter or trayback your 90/110), you risk the vehicle never being allowed on the road again. I know this because I spent a half an hour speaking to the nice SVA / DVLA people in Swansea about my bobtail.

Basically, once you have botailed it, you need to notify the DVLA of the change to the vehicle. Once they receive your notification they will want to inspect it. From this point your vehicle's future lies at the mercy of the particular inspector you get. It can go one of two ways -

1. He judges it as not sufficiently modified to qualify as radically altered and he will amend your log book to record the changes and you are off and running. or...

2. He declares it as a radically altered vehicle and it will need to pass an SVA test to meet today's safety and emissions standards. In other words, your truck becomes scrap.

The only way to circumvent this is to strip the vehicle and re build it on a replacement chassis. That way, if you take loads of pictures and keep receipts for everything you buy, you can SVA it as an amateur built vehicle.

There are lots of opinions out there so I would also advise you call the DVLA and have a chat with them if you are contemplating a bobtail. The chap I spoke with was very knowledgeable and was fully conversant in what a "bobtail" is - he even mentioned Dakars and how they are soon to be in the firing line.

Call 01792 458888 and ask for the SVA department. I spoke with a chap called Mark who as I say was extremely helpful even if he told me what I definately did not want to hear!

I wrote to the DVLA on Monday (having bobtailled mine 2 years ago :ph34r: ) so I am waiting to see what will happen. My insurance company has all my mods in writing but in the event of the worst happening it is almost certain that they would find a way out as the obligation is on me to notify the DVLA of all mods too.......

Now there are loads of bobtails out there and I doubt if any have been down this route - I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who has, so you could always take your chance.......I did for a couple of years, through ignorance as I thought that as the wheelbase was not changed it did not need SVA. This is not the case :( and ignorance is no defence in court.

When I hear from the DVLA I shall update this thread.

Having had a pm with Bishbosh, a while ago, it seems that i got a 'nice' DVLA man when my hybrid was inspected last year....... i did however expect it to be a PITA.

I got the first option....... so have a few other trucks in shires that have been this way in the last year or so!

The only way to circumvent this is to strip the vehicle and re build it on a replacement chassis. That way, if you take loads of pictures and keep receipts for everything you buy, you can SVA it as an amateur built vehicle.

Now there are loads of bobtails out there and I doubt if any have been down this route - I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone who has, so you could always take your chance.......I did for a couple of years, through ignorance as I thought that as the wheelbase was not changed it did not need SVA. This is not the case :( and ignorance is no defence in court.

When I hear from the DVLA I shall update this thread.

There is a guy on difflock who posts as k9rdj who had similar problems after he bobtailed a vitara and declared it. In the end I think he abandoned the whole thing and just stripped if for bits.

You can see a few threads he started about this if you search in the suzuki section of difflock.com for posts containing phrases sva and/or stumpy with k9rdj as the author.

Probably not the kind of thing you wanted to see.

Steve

Worth mentioning that a "commercial vehicle" follows different rules from a "car". Traybacks won't be treated the same as bobbed range rovers.

Ahhhh... looks like my two seat conversion will be going through as a 'commercial vehicle' then - any repercussions of doing it that way?

Ahhhh... looks like my two seat conversion will be going through as a 'commercial vehicle' then - any repercussions of doing it that way?

A commercial is easier to test becasuse not all the items are tested. There still is a problem with modified vehicles though, this is the guy who had the problems mentioned http://www.stumpy.me.uk/ If you read this thread on difflock it gives more detail http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=157357#157357 as you get to the end it will lead back to this forum again!

A commercial is easier to test becasuse not all the items are tested. There still is a problem with modified vehicles though, this is the guy who had the problems mentioned http://www.stumpy.me.uk/

Had a long chat with really helpful people at VOSA about what makes a vehicle commercial and you have to have a certain ratio of load carrying to people carrying space. I was wondering about getting my buggy through as a pickup / commercial!

Tim

Worth mentioning that a "commercial vehicle" follows different rules from a "car". Traybacks won't be treated the same as bobbed range rovers.

This statement is only partly correct.

Yes the commercial test is different and less stringent than the passenger vehicle test. BUT, and this is a very big BUT, the issue here is differentiating between an "Amateur Built Vehicle" and a "Radically Modified Vehicle".

To qualify as the former you have to have documentary and photographic proof of building a "new" vehicle from parts. If you trayback your existing truck it runs the risk of being classified as a radically altered vehicle in the same way that a bobtail does as the majority of the vehicle is as Land Rover built it.

As I said before, if in doubt call the number in my first post.

right then...... just tell if you think i have this right

im traybacking a 110 pick up...... which i bought in pieces. it has a log book which is now in my name.

So if i continue to build this vehicle as is....... it should be classed as a "radically modified vehicle"

So if i sent off the log saying the vehicle has been scrapped by myself and i loose all its identity etc and keep a photo record of the build it should be classed as an "amatuer build vehicle".. which should be the easier route???

If i dont contact the DVLA/SVA about the trayback etc and i have a crash is insurance etc void?........ if this is the case there is alot of illegal vehicles out there.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread

if you tell DVLA it's been scrapped & then during the VIC/SVA test they find traces of the original chassis number [as nobody can eliminate it totally, even if cut out & new steel welded in, it'll look very suspicous] you might leave yourself open to prosecution.

just SVA it & you should be able to keep the original chassis identity & reg number.

This has really put me off the whole process.

My old six wheeler MOTed every year as I built it. No one worried about it so long as the work was sound. The Police used to come and chat about how it was developing on the road side and the only concern was what to insure it as. The chassis length never changed but by the time it was finished the only original condition parts left was the offside bulkhead outrigger, the doors, windscreen and radiator.

I am tempted to go in the other direction and make large scale radio controlled models instead.

Bishbosh

I would be interested in what Laws the DVLA are applying at any given stage. As there seems to be different interpretations within the DVLA it may well be that they are being over zealous, after all the DVLA cannot make Laws, only apply them.

I have had a couple of issues with DEFRA in the past where they have tried to reclaim subsidies. In both cases when quized specifically as to what Law they they were basing their decisions on, they retracted and I kept the money.

The DVLA are in a bit of trouble with big motorhomes as all legislation refers to goods vehicles, the DVLA then published all it's guidlines based on vehicle weights and tried to enforce it on motorhomes., but doesn't/didn't have the Law to back it up.

Whilst I can understand a shortened wheelbase requiring inspection, to cut off a rear section of chassis that only held a piece of bodywork that is no longer there, is hardly radicaly altering it.

Had a chat wiv mr sva man yesterday basically he said

that you can replace any outrigger xmember like for like

i.e rusty xmember can be replaced with a new one but it must

be in the same place as the original.

if you replace a rrc x member or outrigger with a 90/series outrigger

or move it in any direction (i.e bobtail) then you will need a test

if i understood it correctly a bobtail or hybrid will need to be re-registered on a

Q plate with a new chassis number

Had a chat wiv mr sva man yesterday basically he said

that you can replace any outrigger xmember like for like

i.e rusty xmember can be replaced with a new one but it must

be in the same place as the original.

if you replace a rrc x member or outrigger with a 90/series outrigger

or move it in any direction (i.e bobtail) then you will need a test

if i understood it correctly a bobtail or hybrid will need to be re-registered on a

Q plate with a new chassis number

Maybe this is correct when you phone Swansea, however, i was told this with my hybrid, and DID NOT have to do SVA. All i can suggest is build a truck in anticipation of SVA, then take it to the local DVLA office for them to inspect it, and let the DVLA Inspector determine whether it needs SVA or not, i did this with mine, and they just altered the V5, to get the vehicle description correct.

This topic should be re-named to read "dig your self the biggest deepest hole possible and throw your self needlessly in"

Asking some paper pushing idiot who knows nothing to tell you weather or not your car fits the rules is akin to suicide!

Why not read the paperwork properly and decide for your self, ??????

Some times people go out asking for trouble!!!

Lara.