The definitive Bobtail SVA thread

bishbosh

Sorry to here that Bish - what a bugger.

Fact is things are being tightened up, its not as easy to build a hybrid / bobtail / kitcar as it used to be.

As the owner / driver the buck will always stop with you - the insurance companies are getting taking a harder line on rejecting claims and will lay the blame at your door if you fail to get a SVA done.

Ignorance of the law is no defense and all those who bury their heads in the sand could come unstuck big time should they have an accident or get stopped by plod.

Just as important to be sure your insurance company has a list of all modifications / extras to your standard trucks. Its not worth the risk.

Fact is things are being tightened up, its not as easy to build a hybrid / bobtail / kitcar as it used to be.

As the owner / driver the buck will always stop with you - the insurance companies are getting taking a harder line on rejecting claims and will lay the blame at your door if you fail to get a SVA done.

Ignorance of the law is no defense and all those who bury their heads in the sand could come unstuck big time should they have an accident or get stopped by plod.

Again I feel I should say I not being antagonistic for the sake of it, but do you have any examples of insurance companies or plod taking any issue with a Land Rover based vehicle purely on the basis of requiring an SVA?

In order for a vehicle to qualify as 'Amateur Built' are we better off keeping or removing the chassis number? If you've significantly modified a chassis - can it just be considered as a lump of metal that you've re-used?

If it has a chassis number - it's probably still a chassis. Without one, is it a lump of metal?

Si

when i spoke the them 2 weeks ago they said as i've modded the chassis i'd need to

apply for a new chassis number and would need to put a line thru my existing number

but it must still be read-able incase they ever wanted to check that the RRC had been scrapped

by keeping the old chassis number visible they could also supply an age related plate rather than a Q plate

Again I feel I should say I not being antagonistic for the sake of it, but do you have any examples of insurance companies or plod taking any issue with a Land Rover based vehicle purely on the basis of requiring an SVA?

No, to be fair I haven't but I do know of people who have had claims rejected in part due to 'irregularities' with vehicle spec. Its only my opinion but I feel it likely that they will look at the lack of SVA as a further excuse to avoid a payout.

An interesting Appeal Court case here if you have 5 minutes and a coffee.

Essentially the purchaser of an American Motorhome want's his money back as it's wider than allowed by Construction & Use regs, therefore uninsurable and he would be liable to prosecution for using it. The Judges held that it was insurable as Insurace Companies were looking at risk, not compliance and as there were no cases of the DVLA prosecuting people for non compliance, even though there are lots on the road, this wasn't a problem.

Anyone who's had to wrangle with an insurance company knows what a bunch of a***holes they can be.

I have had to do that, and my vehicle wasn't even modified.

5 years of lawyers and battling, we finally won.

Well its all a jolly sorry state of affairs if you ask me.

If there are going to be less vehicles like this about the world will be a much sadder place...

Will :)

No it won't, thats horrible. :angry:

• 4 months later...

hmm well considering its going to be an offroader i assume that there isnt going to be spent much time on the road... therefore wouldnt classing it as a tractor make sense...

a tractor or agricultral motor is a vehicle that has been designed for use in forestry or agriculture... with offroaders sporting winches it could be claimed its a forestry forwarder and therefore all you need is a pic or vid of your beloved dragging a log accross a field... or you could mount a vertiliser spreader or sprayer on the back off a quad and then that forfils the requirement for use with an implement... couple of quick vids or pics and pootle down to the nearest dvla centre to change class... besides who needs motorways... there congested and the roar of a v8 down country lanes is unbeatable... so what it takes longer to get there youl get there with a massive grin on your face... also an MOT is not needed and tax is free...insurance will be cheaper too

this is the way rangie bobs headed considering it would allow me being 16 to drive it and also be cheap to run as its lpg :D

• 3 weeks later...
i had my bobtail inspected by dvla a couple of months ago and that had changed from 4 door to 2 door pickup shortened chassis etc and took 5 minutes to inspect no change of chassis number and not many questions seemed simple really

I think DVLA and VOSA have different views on the subject. The DVLA inspectors are not really trained in the topic and only look for engine and chassis numbers. My inspector wouldn't even have noticed that it was shortened unless I pointed it out!

What I can categorically say is that if you call the VOSA SVA guys and explain what you have done to the truck , you'll get a different forecast for the future of it!

Has the DVLA issued you a Q plate?

• 3 years later...

hate to revive this thread but i thought it might be useful for people to compare experiences with the new IVA Test?

my understanding for the IVA test now is that a bobtail could be put through a normal IVA as either an amateur built vehicle, a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle or possibly a rebuilt vehicle??

but even this document contradicts itself as to which IVA some of the above classes need: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/SVA%20to%20IVA%20Guide%20v1%20April%2011.pdf