300Tdi on LT77

In my '83 One Ten * http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22843 * the 2,25L petrol will be replaced by a Defender 300Tdi. After reading a lot and speaking to some people about this conversion, the thing I was thinking about is the exhaust. Can I use a 200Tdi exhaust from front to back because of the engine position sitting at the same position as a 200Tdi? Or mix some of both exhaust parts, or does it need some custom welding here? As far as I know the 2,25L petrol exhaust has to be replaced completely, because of the diameter.

If you have the capacity to put a 300Tdi onto the LT77, you sure are able to modify an exhaust system for a 200 or 300Tdi to fit. ;)

Apparantly it doesn't fit directly onto the existing chassis bracket, but it's only a matter of bolting the hooks used on newer Defenders on to them. I used the hooks from my donor Disco to hang my 200Tdi system.

You can not use the bracket on the transferbox, so I simply made a new bracket fixed to the LH chassis rail.

Thanks to both Cornwall and Sweden!

Another question. I received some pictures from a someone in Holland making his own engine mount on the 300Tdi Disco engine without having to modify anything on the chassis.

post-3633-1205485901_thumb.jpg

The other side should fit from an 2.5N/A. Is someone familiar with this solution, or are you all just grinding the engine mounts off the chassis and replace them by 300Tdi ones?

Jurriaan, mine is mounted like your friends :) No problem and much easier to do since you can make up the bracket on the bench instead of having to weld the chassis. Make it out of at least 5mm steel or thicker and mount with 3 bolts instead of the original 1. Threaded holes are already in the block and if I remember rightly they are M12 standard thread (1.75 pitch). The angle is the same as a standard mount so use that as a guide. The only thing is that you need to allow room for the oil filter as you can see in the photo. It's perfectly durable, mines been on there for 13 years.

You will find that the exhaust manifold is over the LH engine mounting so you will have to fabricate a bit of exhaust for this (just dog leg it round the mounting) but it is quite easy :)

Mo

You will find that the exhaust manifold is over the LH engine mounting so you will have to fabricate a bit of exhaust for this (just dog leg it round the mounting) but it is quite easy :)

Thanks Mo! I know what you mean at the exhaust after looking at the pics I've made again:

post-3633-1205498058_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too hard though. Think I've got all of the issues covered now, if I'll find some new problems I'll mention it over here :) Conversion will start in a few weeks, got six weeks left untill it will be registered in Holland after being 25 years old.

I fitted a 300Tdi to my 2.5TD 90. I just bolted it up to the 300Tdi, I had to miss a couple of the bellhousing bolts out but it fitted fine. It's been in there for over 2 years now. It does make the 300Tdi sit back a bit further but that's all. For an exhaust I think I used the TD down pipe and fitted a piece of flexi pipe to make it join up to the rest of the system.

HTH

Ivan

Hi Jurriaan,

I am sure you are aware, but thought I should mention it just in case: Your 2.25 petrol 110 would originally have been fitted with a transfer box with a ratio of 1.66. If it still has this ratio, it will be too low geared for the 300tdi for comfortable cruising, unless you are planning to fit some very big tyres.

The petrol engine needs the lower gearing as its torque band is higher up the rev range than the 300tdi. At motorway speeds, the 300tdi will be noisy and will feel thrashed.

If you haven't already, you should consider changing the transfer box for the standard defender one which is a 1.4

Regards,

Diff

Good show ! Some "experts" will tell you on here that you can't bolt a 300 to a LT77 or that there are too many problems doing it :)

I'm no expert either, that's why I'm double checking here ;)

The petrol engine needs the lower gearing as its torque band is higher up the rev range than the 300tdi. At motorway speeds, the 300tdi will be noisy and will feel thrashed.

If you haven't already, you should consider changing the transfer box for the standard defender one which is a 1.4

Thanks for reminding Diff!

I've bought engine+gearbox+transferbox from the 300Tdi Defender, but I`m leaving the LT77 in my car because I don't want to do the welding on the chassis when it's not nescessary. And I like the engine placement further back also for placing my 8274 and keeping a nice approach angle. After selling the R380, I'll start looking at a used short bellhouse R380 for in case my LT77-non-S won't like the 300Tdi. But with the series specification petrol in front of it in it's earlier life, the LT77 shouldn't have had a hard life at all I think ;)

Bit off topic here maybe, but is it worth changing the wiring on the bulkhead also for a 200Tdi/300Tdi one? After opening up my fusebox I found glass fuses, might be better do go for some more modern wiring with the coloured plastic fuses. Or will just changing the fusebox tackle that?

The bulkhead will be changed for a LHD galvanised one, so the wiring there will be out to go fitted to the new bulkhead. If I'm changing, is the wiring loom at the bulkhead the same for both LHD and RHD?

Bit off topic here maybe, but is it worth changing the wiring on the bulkhead also for a 200Tdi/300Tdi one? After opening up my fusebox I found glass fuses, might be better do go for some more modern wiring with the coloured plastic fuses. Or will just changing the fusebox tackle that?

The bulkhead will be changed for a LHD galvanised one, so the wiring there will be out to go fitted to the new bulkhead. If I'm changing, is the wiring loom at the bulkhead the same for both LHD and RHD?

Hi guys,

This is what i did to mine! Fed up taking cover off every few weeks.

I bought two fuse holders from the great VWP and instaled them in the standard position.

Required about 1mm of filing to fit fuse holder in slot, abit of bending of bottom lip and four screws drilled.

A good crimping tool (not old cheapo in the kits!) and a few lucar terminals and bobs your uncle.

Took about an hour and a nice finish i think!

I do believe it is FBB8U. £3.95

They are 8 way so spare 2 fuses on each block for your accessories??

Pretty much fit and forget! more than what i can say for the original.

Cheers.

post-3419-1205936021_thumb.jpg

post-3419-1205936346_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the fuses :) Just have to wait and see how complete my new LHD bulkhead would be.

Another question, which radiator/intercooler hoses can I use? They sell complete kits at eBay for example with those nice blue hoses in it. Do I need the kit for...

- 300Tdi and lenghten it myself

- 200Tdi

- 200Tdi Disco into Defender

Or will it just be custom stuff that I can use? Will be blanking the EGR valve, or replace it by just an exhaust gas temperature sensor on that spot. So that EGR thing isn't used anymore.

going back to the original post, i've just mated up a defender 300tdi to my TD LT77 box today, I know alot of people say to swap the 300 mounting plate for the td one. But I decided to keep the 300 one to maintain the revised oil seal (after taking it off :blink: ). I drilled and tapped the very botom locating hole in the plate and studded it, then using a home made template drilled the rest of the holes from the bell housing. only ones you cant do are the ones around the clutch cylinder. have to grind the webbings slightly, but this wont affect strength etc. If worried about grinding files will work as it only soft ally. kept the locating dowles aswell and drilled the holes from the housing. mated perfectly. as for engine mounts they'll have to wait till tommorow. will get some pics tommorow if it stops p%$$ing it down

Andy