salisbury front axles

LEAFERS RULE!!!

It will sort out the diff and maybe the shafts but not the UJ's, they become the weak link, break one and you mangle the shafts anyway. Plus you loose ground clearance.

Grem

Seen a salisbury that had been shaved at the the bottom to gain a bit back and as im running 35 inch wheels at the minute with possible 37s on the cards i would sacrifice a bit of underaxle clearance for piece of mind, its the actual legth of the diff nose that bothers me more than anything as i would have to shorten the prop.

When you say uj do you mean on the prop or the shaft as these axles come off an armoured car that had the old rangie 4speed premanant gearbox so i assume it will have cv,s which i have been told are much stronger than the uj halfshfts?

It should fit if you have a standard engine, yes the prop will have to be shorter. I was refering to the uj at the shaft but it seems you can assume correctly that the axle you found should have cv's due to the gearbox. CV's are the same as stage 1 v8's.

Grem

It'll be stronger but some front Salisbury parts are hard to find due to the rarity, and I'm not 100% convinced Land Rover have made much that stands up to 37's and abuse as stock - 101 axles spring to mind, Bathtub was running them before he went to Mogs. They're salisbury but different internals than Series / Defender ones, I think the UJ/CV (?) is much bigger and presumably that means other weaknesses were ironed out too.

It could work, or it could be a lot of pain for very little gain. Have a search for "axle swap", most combinations have been covered on here.

It'll be stronger but some front Salisbury parts are hard to find due to the rarity, and I'm not 100% convinced Land Rover have made much that stands up to 37's and abuse as stock - 101 axles spring to mind, Bathtub was running them before he went to Mogs. They're salisbury but different internals than Series / Defender ones, I think the UJ/CV (?) is much bigger and presumably that means other weaknesses were ironed out too.

It could work, or it could be a lot of pain for very little gain. Have a search for "axle swap", most combinations have been covered on here.

101 axles are lower ratio as well, 5.57:1 rather than 4.7:1 or 3.54:1

my 1970 1ton runs env axles front and rear my dad brought it brand new like it

The 1 ton had ENV, Salisbury and Rover axles at various times. My S3 parts book says pre 74 had Salisbury axles and gave a part number for the prop shaft. That's all I had to go by for the Salisbury part.

thanks for the info, im gonna have to have a good think about the axles may be better to puy toyota axles in and electric lockers i have a detroit locker uprated 24 spline shafts at the rear and they have never let me down but cant find anything to uprate the front 10 spliners what i have found is abroad and an arm n a leg! would be better off maybe saving up a bit more and getting a set of portals???