NOT using the 200Tdi Power Steering Pump

RobotMan

My beloved 2 1/4 lump has just about turned it's last rev and so I'm fitting an ex Disco 200Tdi in over Easter (yes, yet another one). I was intending to fit PAS whilst I was at it as I have a 4 bolt box but, given the time I have to do the job, I'm thinking just getting the engine in and running for now will be enough of a job. So I plan to come back to the steering in the summer.

So my question is what should I do with the pump;

#remove it and fit something in it's place for now, if so what?

#leave it on and connect it in some magical way to keep it happy?

#Don't worry about it :(

Oh and I'm using the air-con pump to do on-board air too, so that will be up there spinning around too but with the clutch disengaged of course.

Oh and has anybody any thoughts on Intercooler position on a Series II with centre headlights, makes it a bit more tricky I guess than a SIII but I want to keep the external look as original as possible.

You can't leave the PAS pump in place with no fluid in it because the bearings are lubricated by it.

The intercooler can go in front of the rad, but you would have to lie it on it's side to get it to fit, and modify the pipe outlets for the room available. Perfectly dooable with a bit of thought. I put mine to one side, but that is because the fan was in the way of what would be a better location.

post-2-1205762533_thumb.jpg

Les.

Cheers Les,

I guess it'll be coming off then, the engine is at a friends place so I can't take a look see, can I just remove it's belt or need some sort of idler

It sure looks a swine to fit the intercooler with the headlamp in the way, big hammer time. I have a SIII centre if needs be I guess.

This working backshift's is a pain for getting help lol.

Hi,

I see some people use a VW pulley on the alternator to get the alternator to line up with the crank and waterpump.

Then find a longer belt to connect all three up. I had been looking at something on the web but unfortunately forgot were it was!

Have you had a thought about using a 300tdi intercooler? It has both outlets on the left side.

LROs lightweight article used an intercooler from a rover car.

Just a few thoughts.

did you have a look at this?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9468&hl=

This guy used an lower alternator mount like the series engines;

http://www.s2cforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=12550.150

I have included a pic of original disco layout if you cant remember!

I am sure Les knows more about this then myself but i hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

(I am looking to install a disco tdi in my lightwieght hybrid)

Cheers.

post-3419-1205922500_thumb.jpg

post-3419-1205922960_thumb.jpg

post-3419-1205923001_thumb.jpg

I missed that 1st thread, cheers.

I haven't read LRO for years lol.

I pulled all the front apart today to do the timing belt and yes the stock alternator is set back relative to the crank pulley and driven via the PAS pump. I'll make a bigger offset on the alternator and leave off the pump for now, or rather not put it back on.

I may well look at using some other intercooler but to be honest I don't like spending money lol, hell I even swapped the engine for a diff, all be it a Detroit Locker.

I missed that 1st thread, cheers.

I haven't read LRO for years lol.

I pulled all the front apart today to do the timing belt and yes the stock alternator is set back relative to the crank pulley and driven via the PAS pump. I'll make a bigger offset on the alternator and leave off the pump for now, or rather not put it back on.

I may well look at using some other intercooler but to be honest I don't like spending money lol, hell I even swapped the engine for a diff, all be it a Detroit Locker.

I would think if you were to intend fitting the powersteering pump later it would be worth looking into the VW pulley option. From what i am aware it is just a matter of fitting the pulley end of an old VW pulley. It has an extension on it. That way it doesnt require too much modification/disassembly to put back to standard.

Pic borrowed from eblag attatched.

I am sure there is another thread on here that deals with the mod better.

The LRO doesnt show an pics of the intercooler installation, just mentions it!

I saw a few rover type on eblag (as well as 300tdi versions) and seem to be going for good prices.

Cheers.

post-3419-1206019077_thumb.jpg