leak proofing

I' feed up of getting a soaking :( whenever I drive off in my Land Rover so I need to do some leak proofing.

I have read the water ingress manual on the tech archive.

Dum Dum I have found but it talks of using black tape :blink: to cover the Dum Dum and of clear sealant.

Could anyone tell me what this "black tape" is and what sort of clear sealant I should use as well.

Thanks in advance for helping to keep me nice and dry.

James

I got so fet up with leaking and I couldnt find where it was comming from so I stripped every bit of the old sealant out of the gutters and along the front top of the roof and replaced it with gutter sealant (tar like stuff in a tube) then when it was almost dry (took a few days) sprayed black waxoil/paint all over it. Then I used black silicone sealant and put it in all the gaps in the perrishing rubber window seals on the windscreen and the alpine windows. It seems to have done the job. Now the only water comming in is from the door seals but at least it doesnt drip on my lap.

I got so fet up with leaking and I couldnt find where it was comming from so I stripped every bit of the old sealant out of the gutters and along the front top of the roof and replaced it with gutter sealant (tar like stuff in a tube) then when it was almost dry (took a few days) sprayed black waxoil/paint all over it. Then I used black silicone sealant and put it in all the gaps in the perrishing rubber window seals on the windscreen and the alpine windows. It seems to have done the job. Now the only water comming in is from the door seals but at least it doesnt drip on my lap.

Gutter Sealent is black gold. I used bathroom stuff on my sunroof and within a few days it was leaking. I got fed up with it so took the glass out, cleaned out the gutters, filled it with gutter sealant and put the glass back on then filled the second gutter running around the outside of the sunroof until it was level with the top of the glass. It hasn't leaked since. Although I can't open the sunroof any more, but a Defender has enough places for air to get in.

Cheers for the replies so far. I have some black duck tape so will use that. Here's hoping for some dry driving after easter when i've had a chance to play with some sealants.

For a good permenant seal use Sikaflex or similar, its a marine sealant that kinda glues as well - always remains flexible and is incredibly strong, it also cures with moisture which is good for both marine, and landrover environments!!

Yes, but your best bet is to get new seals and then adjust the door hinges so it closes properly - ive never had one that cant be adjusted enough, youll find some leaks look like a door seal problem but turn out to be where the roof joins the screen.

Hi James,

......just use it when its not raining mate :lol: ....seriously though I'd check the alpine glass seals as a start....the water gets in there and then runs along the inside gutter to drip on your right knee when you brake/go round a left corner, also make sure that your roof rack feet haven't damaged the mastic seal in the outside gutter....

How is Sara getting on with learning to drive ?

Hope all is well with you

Cheers

Steveb

Hi Steve,

Cheers for the suggestion, thats exactly where it drips on me, tends to do it when I reverse out of the drive, have to get ready with a big wad of tissue or my right leg gets a soaking.

Sarahs been driving round car parks in the Landy so far, but no lessons yet.

James

:lol::lol: Welcome to the world of Land Rovers, a damp right knee is part of the initiation ceremony :P

Another point to suggest is get someone to 'rain' a hose onto the roof on a dry day and see if you can see water coming in anywhere. The most likely place is the gutter run on the HT as it can sit in there and any gaps allow seepage to the inner part of the gutter......which then drains all over your right knee when you brake/ reverse out of your drive... :P

....you could always reverse in ....

Steve

I see your a bit closer to Land's End than me :D if your 110 has the vents above the rear door, try blanking these off too, LR deleted them froml ater models as they found water/mist was being sucked in due to the airflow around the 110's rear end.

btw Steve what would tou suggest to use to seal the HT gutter with??

I'd go for Seam Sealer from a motor factors/car paint shop - silicone works ok but seems to be affected by sunlight and won't take a coat of paint should you need to paint over it.

Steveb

I see your a bit closer to Land's End than me :D if your 110 has the vents above the rear door, try blanking these off too, LR deleted them fromlater models as they found water/mist was being sucked in due to the airflow around the 110's rear end.

The sealant around them also deteriorates causing leaks, it happened on my 90!

• 2 months later...
:lol::lol: Welcome to the world of Land Rovers, a damp right knee is part of the initiation ceremony :P

Another point to suggest is get someone to 'rain' a hose onto the roof on a dry day and see if you can see water coming in anywhere. The most likely place is the gutter run on the HT as it can sit in there and any gaps allow seepage to the inner part of the gutter......which then drains all over your right knee when you brake/ reverse out of your drive... :P

....you could always reverse in ....

Steve

Time for a dumb question! I'm relatively new to Land Rovers and my 90 drenches my right knee when it rains so I'm looking to solve this but what is 'HT'???

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Time for a dumb question! I'm relatively new to Land Rovers and my 90 drenches my right knee when it rains so I'm looking to solve this but what is 'HT'???

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark, I presume reference is made to Hard Top gutter.

Cheers

Wikus

Mark, I presume reference is made to Hard Top gutter.

Cheers

Wikus

my 110 used to leak, again it was the gutters .. it was on the rear panel where the gutter curves around the door, there was a hairline crack, seated with dumdum. As stated in previous posts, the water ingress manual has a diagram of how the roof section is attached to the gutter, you don't need a big hole to let water in!

I am now a member of the "dry knees club".

bpman