Oil pressure guage

As it says really what range of pressure is needed on an oil pressure guage for a 2.5 Petrol engine?

Also what is the difference between an electric and a capillary gauge, The capillary gauges seem cheaper, any reason for this? Also which is easiest to fit?

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jon W

The LR defender oil pressure gauge shows 0 to 100psi & 0 to 7 kpa, this is a electrically operated gauge, if you do a search for gauges you'll find the part number :D I reckon elect gauges are easiest to fit, with a capillary gauge you have to have a oil pipe into the back of the gauge, these are more accurate, hth :D

The LR defender oil pressure gauge shows 0 to 100psi & 0 to 7 kpa, this is a electrically operated gauge, if you do a search for gauges you'll find the part number :D I reckon elect gauges are easiest to fit, with a capillary gauge you have to have a oil pipe into the back of the gauge, these are more accurate, hth :D

Hi Ralph;

0-100 psi ........ pretty optomistic eh? :)

The 4 cylinder guage part # is PRC 3116 (original only around 80.00 GBp from Bearmach) sorry can't find a part # on the transducer (sender) perhaps it is a mechanical guage.........

I prefer the mechanical guage as Ralph says "more accurate" and i fitted an "aftermarket" one to my 2.5 petrol, 30 psi idle, 45 psi or so at 3000 rpm..............

ooh, ooh, I know this one, as me teach, ask me :D [having just looked it up for my own problem, which is still not resolved :angry::( ]

The pressure relief valve [at least on the 6, I doubt it is much different for any of the rest of the "family" of engines] is set to lift at 30 -40 mph or 60# and the idiot light is set to come on at 10 -12# if everything is working right. Based on this value I would say that a 100# gauge is about right [guages are usually laid out so that the nominal value is at the 12 o'clock position] and in fact both of the mechanical gauges that I have borrowed for my investigation are this range.

BTW NB the fitting [for series trucks] is 5/8 BS COURSE :angry:<_< , a hard size to find in the US in 2005 :P

cheers

Well i picked up a nice oil temp gauge on ebay for 99p, so chuffed with that :D , just have to find out which bits it comes with when i get it. Then may need some help with which bits i need.

Im keeping my eye on ebay for an oil pressure gauge at a bargin price.

Cheers

Jon

Well i picked up a nice oil temp gauge on ebay for 99p, so chuffed with that :D , just have to find out which bits it comes with when i get it. Then may need some help with which bits i need.

Im keeping my eye on ebay for an oil pressure gauge at a bargin price.

Cheers

Jon

good you found one at a great price :D see my modified parts cat page [link above] for the transmitter & fittings their common to all the 2.5ltr 4cylinder engines [except the oil temp transmitter won't IIRC fit the 300Tdi] :D

Edited by western