LT77 5th gear hell

HI

I have just moved from the world of leafs to the world of coils, and the 200tdi i have has had some work (possibly new) gearbox. it was awful when I picked it up, but I have reset all the reverse gear and fifth gear adjustment in the side of the box per the manua, and at least it now springs to 3/4 rather than 1/2, and have also changed the oil for some of difflocks magical liquid gold (should be at the price (lol), but my problem remains:

R, 1,2,3,4 are all fine up and down the box now, but going into fifth it still grates every time - if its cold and or the first change by pushing hard towards the dash I can get it in without a problem at a low speed, otherwise every other time I get a real grind. Double declutch thdoes not fix the problem. The gaskets on the box and the box itself look fairly new - suggesting sopmebody has either rebuilt the box or had a go at it before. Its almost as if I want the gearstick to go further forward to actually get the gear - but i dont see any external adjustment for this.

Question is -

1) anybody got any other ideas what this could be/what else to try?

Thanks for any help for the newcomer ! :D

if its cold and or the first change by pushing hard towards the dash I can get it in without a problem at a low speed, otherwise every other time I get a real grind. Double declutch thdoes not fix the problem

It could simply be a tired synchro. LR haven't made a decent synchro gearbox yet and, treading carefully, I'd suggest it's your double-declutch technique. Have you ever driven anything with a full crash box?

You could test the synchro in the following way (although 5th's not a great gear to try this in)

Choose a long hill such that you neither gain speed nor lose it when coasting in neutral (or try on the flat but it won't work so well). Get going, 1,2,3,4, drop it into 5th (CRUNCH) then establish a steady speed, 35mph should be ok. If you back off the pedal so that there's no load on the gearbox (neither drive nor overrun) the stick should easily slide out of gear. If the engine and road-speed don't change, it'll just slot back into gear again. If it does, synchro problem. If it doesn't, your selectors aren't set up right, there's nasty gack in the box or similar.

If it's a synchro problem, you may benefit from changing the oil (if indeed it's been filled with the right grade), using more/less revs when you double declutch, or not 'hurrying' the change with excessive lever force but putting on the pressure to give the synchro time to work.

• Like 1

It could simply be a tired synchro. LR haven't made a decent synchro gearbox yet

He has trouble with 5th...i have trouble selecting 1st..........

Can any gearbox possibly be worse than the LT77?

Give me the later Series IIa, now there was a good gearbox.... I'm on my second and a half replacement LT77....

the 1/2 part?

I built a new one from three old ones :)

Just a note:

For a long time i was bullied by the myth that the LT77 was a hard gearbox to work on... over here, out of necessity, one has to do a lot of ones own work (with tech notes sent over from Forum friends)... anyway once you get that thing apart it's just a gearbox afterall :)

Given a choice another time i'd be off to see Ashcrofts :)

Good Luck with it ..............

He has trouble with 5th...i have trouble selecting 1st..........

Can any gearbox possibly be worse than the LT77?

Give me the later Series IIa, now there was a good gearbox.... I'm on my second and a half replacement LT77....

the 1/2 part?

I built a new one from three old ones :)

Just a note:

For a long time i was bullied by the myth that the LT77 was a hard gearbox to work on... over here, out of necessity, one has to do a lot of ones own work (with tech notes sent over from Forum friends)... anyway once you get that thing apart it's just a gearbox afterall :)

Given a choice another time i'd be off to see Ashcrofts :)

Good Luck with it ..............

Been up and Land Rover today with some friends from here courtesy of Guy and the Camel Owners Club (thanks Guy), and spend the afternoon stripping and rebuilding an LT77. Good fun and nice to see how it all came apart, and back together again, but its hard to see how it might be done without at least some of the special tools.

Been up and Land Rover today with some friends from here courtesy of Guy and the Camel Owners Club (thanks Guy), and spend the afternoon stripping and rebuilding an LT77. Good fun and nice to see how it all came apart, and back together again, but its hard to see how it might be done without at least some of the special tools.

Thanks for all the advice/thoughts. I will try the double declutch thing at the weekend, oil I have changed, so this will hopefully give some indications - I will update on my progress.

oilit

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice/thoughts. I will try the double declutch thing at the weekend, oil I have changed, so this will hopefully give some indications - I will update on my progress.

oilit

Hi Turbocharger and others:

Thanks for the guidance, so I think I have isolated it to syncho, if I drive along 1,2,3,4, neutral, foot off accelerator, and pump clutch 2-3 times, then fifth life is silent ! And I do have the ability toi slip int out and back into fifth on a hill as you suggested.

Hmmm - need to find myself some spanners and a syncho now !

surely an improvement on pumping the clutch is a sign that the hydraulic fluid needs changing — water contamination? At least I'm hoping that is all that I have to do B) — brakes as well as clutch, when the weather is kind to me. Until then I'll stick to the LR 'system': keep the spares in the vehicle, keep driving!

As I understand it, what TC was suggesting, to check the synchro, is changing gear without use of the clutch at all; with most gearboxes this is possible only when there is no load on the gearbox, ie car is coasting at lowish revs; then 'refitting is the reverse of removal' :D