Mobiles and Mud

VeryDisco

I was out playing yesterday on a private site in North Wales. I realised at 3.00 that I'd lost my phone so went trawling around trying to locate all the places I'd got out of the truck for "comfort breaks"

I found it by catching a faint ringing through the mud. :ph34r:

Although it worked then, I dried it out and now my phone is no more, it's a dead phone, it's not moving, it's definately not pining for the fjords!

I was wondering if anyone else has killed their phone, and how....

I was out playing yesterday on a private site in North Wales. I realised at 3.00 that I'd lost my phone so went trawling around trying to locate all the places I'd got out of the truck for "comfort breaks"

Although it worked then, I dried it out and now my phone is no more, it's a dead phone, it's not moving, it's definately not pining for the fjords!

They just don't make em like they used to............ in one winter i ran the Series over my old Motorolla flip phone and burried it in the snow, when found the next day it worked and for years after.....

the same winter i lost my Timex indiglo in the snowy woods...It was found keeping perfect time 3 mos later when the snow had gone :)

A colleague at work related his phone mishap story to me - his young son was potty training (aparaently something they do?) and was very proud to have managed to use the potty (in the middle of the living room) and produced a , er, number 2 :o and so made everyone come and look and admire his handywork.

Daddy dutifully inspected the contents of the potty at which time his phone fell out of the breast pocket of his shirt......... landed bang on target and stood there upright......... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've not killed a phone in the field but I did crack the case on my Nokia (can't remember which model but its their latest ruggidised one) when I fell off one of the wings while doing the last service. Endied up with a big, phone shaped bruise on the outside of my thigh <_< Appart from that I've managed to drop it 2 stories onto concrete but it was fine after that!

Years ago Ericsson used to make a ruggedized handset called R388, but they discontinued it. It had a lousy software but mechanically was first rate. I've never seen another phone like this - the so called "adventure" handsets are rendered useless at the first frop of rain. Strangely, there's seems to be no demand for industrial type phones.

Does any one know a handset that can take some beating?

Edited by Roman

My old one died after being left in my bag behind the seat in Nicks Range Rover. Was nice and dry until it sat in here for an hour or so :lol:

P1010059-copy.jpg

P1010065-copy-copy-copy.jpg

Then was left in the wet bag for the rest of the day :lol: Ah well, thats what friends who get new phones every 5 minutes are for - got a replacement for about £25 and the battery lasts so much better than the last one :D

Richard

I plonked mine in the mud as well. The second phone I had I bent over and it slid straight out of my shirt pocket and into the wet mud. Mine died straight away, but fortunately I still had my old one.

At Tony's birthday bash Si White(?) tipped his motor on it's side, and everything slid into the gloop when the door was opened. Considering the cost of some phones it can be an expensive mistake.

Les. :)

Edited by Les Henson

Oh just to add if you thump a laptop screen hard enough you can put your fist straight through it :o

This happened a couple of months back when it repeatidly dropped its wifi connection just to finish it off i thought i'd trow it at the slabs on the patio that didnt do it much good either :lol:

All that over not being able to log onto my internet banking!! :blink:

Isnt insurance a wonderful thing?

What Tony said - remove battery and simmer gently, if you are feeling really enthusiastic you can buy electronical dewatering spray for the very purpose.

As long as you remove power ASAP when it's wet it won't corrode, if there's power there it will turn to a pile of green fluff within hours.

I made a "quick disembark" from a bus at work, but the phone was indecisive about leaving the vehicle. A bus door is just in front of the front wheel, and...

For unbreakable phones, you really can't beat a 5110

Nokia_5110.jpg

They're not posh or fancy but, even with half the plastic missing and the screen completely defunct, it'll still make a call. Texting's harder, mind.

Used to have the nokia 6250 now that was a bludy hardcase

see the specs:

Durability

* Shock resistance: Phone can survive a drop of up to 3 meters onto a hard surface

* Water resistance: Phone can survive an immersion for up to 1 minute in water up to 0.5 m deep; water may not be warmer than 50°C.

* Dirt and dust resistance: No ingress (when used within the specifications described above)

Alas no longer made

so now I have the newer version

a nokia 5140

both I never managed to kill and the 6250 was dropped several times for the tops of signals onto the ballast. pinged off rails once even caught in the rear end of point work and still worked I miss that phone Bludy heavy it was though

It's so much less bother just living somewhere that doesn't have mobile phones, I've never broken one :P

done over a couple of hand-held VHF radios though - which are a bit more expensive :(

Oh just to add if you thump a laptop screen hard enough you can put your fist straight through it :o

This happened a couple of months back when it repeatidly dropped its wifi connection just to finish it off i thought i'd trow it at the slabs on the patio that didnt do it much good either :lol:

All that over not being able to log onto my internet banking!! :blink:

Isnt insurance a wonderful thing?

James - a kindred spirit. What did you write on the claim - "Display failure"? :ph34r:

Never killed one of mine, but a mate found his in his pocket when he was changing...after I'd taken him caving... Whipped the battery out and sat it over one of the car heater vents, then next to the wood stove back at the caving hut, and it did come back to life, but died a couple of days later. Fortunately he was due an upgrade anyway.

Ah well, thats what friends who get new phones every 5 minutes are for - got a replacement for about £25 and the battery lasts so much better than the last one :D

You can get a new phone for £20 - angle for free next time :P My current phone came at the price I like and that included a proper car kit.

I bust one phone on the way to Wales last year to meet up with with you Fi. It is not a good idea to put a mobile in the outside leg pocket of a pair of cargo pants. Defender door panels tend to make a bit of a mess of the screen!! :(

Cathy managed to drown a mobile in her rucksack during the infamous walk with Jules the Rambler. We tried drying it over the the heater vent and all the usual tricks to no avail!

I've killed screen on 4 months old nokia 7150i working under the disco £30.quid later and new screen it still works today. 6 months old Erickson k700i died by ripping out the joystick [again working on disco] then in anger thrown up the wall never worked since. A mate had a 5110 fell out his pocket and driven over with 7.5t lorry amazingly enough it still worked when found, although case has seen better days.

Thought I'd killed my Motorola V620 whilst on hols in July this year. Managed to go swimming with it in my shorts. Was in the pool (not the sea thankfully) for a good thirty mins.

Was gutted when I realised what I had done - took it to bits as much as could without any tools, dried it out

over 2 days in the very hot Italian Sun and lo and behold it worked fine. For a couple of days more the camera was a bit iffy but the phone since worked fine for ages...... that is until yesterday when my daughter who now has this phone reported the second display is playing up and some of the keys are nor responding on occasions. Fortunately it is insured so I think I will be OK.

BTW do folks realise that Motorola's have a little pad/disk in them (behind the battery) that turns red when it gets wet. This stops people claiming under warranty if they have got their phone wet - clever.

I didn't realise this until I realised that the same pad/disk on my new V635 was noticed to be white. Haven't tried wetting it to see if my theory is true for obvious reasons but I am sure it is.

Lucy lost her mobile when we went to the Bude site a few years ago, bounched out of the dash board and she assumed it had gone out the window.

It hadn't, I found it a year or so later lodged behind the battery under her seat! Quite how it managed to get there I have no idea...

Yes it was knackered.

Will :)

I'm impressed, I did have one of those hollow "oh no" feelings after I'd posted the thread, just in case I was the only muppet who'd trashed their phone, and had put myself up for more ridicule. :D

My new phone arrives today, so if I used to have your number, could you PM me if you want me to have it again, and if I didn't have your number, you can still PM me, it's good to talk! ;)

My trick is to go into the shop when getting the phone, and "subtly" throw the demo across the room. if it smashes to a million little pieces its no good, and if it doesn't break, then its fine, and I ask for a different phone of the same model!

My practice paid off when I was at a music festival, and I dropped my phone (nokia brick thingy) on the main path, found it a day later after about 3000 people had walked over it, and it worked fine, albeit the ariel had broken off, the keys came out, the case was badly cracked. I found all the parts (apart from keys) and was able to phone with it, used a prong from a plastic fork to dial! think it was a nokia 3110, they certainly don't make them like they used to.