Headgasket

Guest WALFY

I'm now convinced that the headgasket has gone on my 200 TDI. I have heard there is 3 sizes. How do I find out which one I need. I like to have all the bits before I start any job that I do.

What would happen if I put the thickest one on. Will the fact that I have changed the crank recently have any bearing on which one I need?

I'm now convinced that the headgasket has gone on my 200 TDI. I have heard there is 3 sizes. How do I find out which one I need. I like to have all the bits before I start any job that I do.

What would happen if I put the thickest one on. Will the fact that I have changed the crank recently have any bearing on which one I need?

IIRC near the back, left (looking from the front) there will be a tab protruding with a number of holes in it, 1, 2 or 3 according to the thinkness.

Look along the side of the engine you will see a place where the gasket sticks outside the head/block in a recess, there will be 1, 2 or 3 holes in it, this shows the thickness so you need a replacement with the same no. of holes in.

Don't think a crank change will matter, I think it is to do with how far up the bores the pistons come which is more likely to be a function of the machining in the block manufacture rather than crank.

If you put the thickest on you would just lose a little bit of compression. Not sure how much difference this would make. The thickest gasket actually has no holes in it, but is an extremely rare thing to find on an engine, most are 2 hole and a few 1s and 3s (on 300s at least - same gasket)

Part numbers are ERR5261 (1.3mm) / ERR5262 (1.4mm) / ERR5263 (1.5mm) for the normal ones, and the thick one is ERR7154 which seems to be 1.6mm or 1.7mm depending on who you believe! - and mainly intended for use with skimmed heads, having done a quick search.

There's 3 thicknesses of head gasket for 200Tdi -----

1 hole 0.50 to 0.60 mm piston protrusion

2 hole 0.61 to 0.70

3 hole 0.71 to 0.80

0 hole 0.81 to 0.90 [note --- 300Tdi ONLY]

the piston with the highest protrusion determines the gasket to fit

max piston protrusion MUST NOT exceed 0.80mm

ident gasket by looking for the number of holes stamped into it between number 3 and 4 injectors above the fuel lift pump

:D

Edited by western

Thanks for all the replys. Will have a look tomorrow when at work. Another job for the xmas break. :):) Along with wiring in the huskey, rear tub change and a respray :)

Just been out and had a look. It has got 3 holes punched into the gasket. Not sure if that means it has been skimmed or someone has just put the biggest gasket on because they couldn't be bothered to measure it properly. So I've ordered a new 3 hole gaket and will fit that aswell.

Hi,

I put a new head gasket on my 200TDI about 4 months ago. The advice I got from an ex landrover technician was that Land Rover offical policy was to fit the 3 hole gasket no matter what was on before.

He could not say wether this was for technical reasons or for parts rationalisation though.....

Mine was border line between the 2 and 3 hole gasket according to my dial gauge, so on went a 3 hole gasket. Runs fine....

Adrian

Hi,

I put a new head gasket on my 200TDI about 4 months ago. The advice I got from an ex landrover technician was that Land Rover offical policy was to fit the 3 hole gasket no matter what was on before.

Adrian

That's very reassuring to hear. Just got to fit it over the weekend now.

That's very reassuring to hear. Just got to fit it over the weekend now.

I've just very recently fitted a new 2 hole head gasket, cos that's what was on my engine when it was originally built :D

measure the piston protrusion and use the correct gasket.

When I had one of two proplems with mine over heating.. :lol:

It had a 3 hole fitted and once skimmed a no hole, this was a 200 Tdi so why only on the 300 ??

I'm not going to say mines been fine since....it's tempting fate !

Edited by Les Brock

Land Rover stealers fit the three hole gasket because (as usual) they can't be bothered to do the job properly. The chances are they don't have a dial test gauge, and even if they did, they couldn't read it, being not only illiterate but innumerate as well. The mechs here at "The best LR dealer in South Africa" obviously can't read a degree gauge to fit a 300tdi head, so why bother what gasket is fitted?

(a friend of mine bought a Disco with a 'new' engine. The head gasket blew after a couple of thousand k's, seizing the engine. Some of the head bolts were not tight at all. Also, a few bolts holding the engine to the bell housing were missing, the bolts in the timing case were in the wrong holes, the sliding pulley was of the old obsolete type, etc.)

It had a 3 hole fitted and once skimmed a no hole, this was a 200 Tdi so why only on the 300 ??

no idea why it's just for the 300TDi, the info in my reply is straight from the official Defender workshop manual.

Edited by western

Ok, a couple of points........ Skimming the head will make NO diference to the gasket thickness needed. On TDI's the face is completely flat, skim it & its still completely flat (hopefully).

The only way you can change the thickness is to skim the block, this will alter the protrusion of the pistons. As some of you have said the pistons actually protrude past the top of the block, this measurement is why there are diferent gaskets.

I'd just refit the same size. Hope this helps. :)

Ok, a couple of points........ Skimming the head will make NO diference to the gasket thickness needed. On TDI's the face is completely flat, skim it & its still completely flat (hopefully).

The only way you can change the thickness is to skim the block, this will alter the protrusion of the pistons. As some of you have said the pistons actually protrude past the top of the block, this measurement is why there are diferent gaskets.

I'd just refit the same size. Hope this helps. :)

the piston with the highest protrusion determines the gasket to fit

exactly what I posted earlier :D

But presumably the clearance from valves to the top of the pistons reduces if you skim the head, and might eventually lead to a nasty knocking noise if you overdo it :)

But presumably the clearance from valves to the top of the pistons reduces if you skim the head, and might eventually lead to a nasty knocking noise if you overdo it :)

spot on :D there's a limit for skimming Tdi cylinder heads, if the warping exceeds 0.08mm then the head MUST be replaced :D hence the 0.08mm cylinder head gasket max thickness.

Well job complete. :) Gasket had gone but on no 1 pot. If you look from the front of the engine it had blown in the 6-8 o clock pos. Rebuilt it all this morning and away I went. Not bad for the first time on a TDI. About 6hrs work. Was hoping that now the pressurising of the block had been sorted the rear seal wouldn't leak anymore. Some bloody chance. Still leaks, just not as bad. So it'll be engine out at the weekend too change the rear seal. :angry: What a way to start my xmas hols. Hopefully it'll be quick to do as I need to fit a rear tub before the laning day on the 27 Dec. :)

Ralph

Wish I was young enough to be taking exams ;) Only problem I need to fit the tub and paint it, cos of laning on 27 +29 Dec. I'll then be going to Kent in the new year for more laning. So time is against me slightly.

Ralph

Wish I was young enough to be taking exams ;) Only problem I need to fit the tub and paint it, cos of laning on 27 +29 Dec. I'll then be going to Kent in the new year for more laning. So time is against me slightly.

D'oh, :rolleyes::blink: I read xmas as exams, my mistake, is the existing tub that bad then?

Had a lorry reverse into the side of me last year and rip the tub side, a temp repair has lasted nearly 12 months. Also it is like a swiss cheese after having an LPG kit fitted and now removed it still has all the holes where the gas pipes came through the floor.

By no means the worst tub I have seen but For £50 for a strighter tub it seemed daft not to.

By the way seen you at the rally near Dunster the other week, if it hadn't been raining so hard I'd of prob stopped for a chat, as it was I was cold wet and totaly pi**ed off and in need of a bath.

Had a lorry reverse into the side of me last year and rip the tub side, a temp repair has lasted nearly 12 months. Also it is like a swiss cheese after having an LPG kit fitted and now removed it still has all the holes where the gas pipes came through the floor.

By no means the worst tub I have seen but For £50 for a strighter tub it seemed daft not to.

By the way seen you at the rally near Dunster the other week, if it hadn't been raining so hard I'd of prob stopped for a chat, as it was I was cold wet and totaly pi**ed off and in need of a bath.

I understand the need to change it now, Yes, that was me, didn't have any work to do, heck of a wet dat though, I'm booked to do the April rally and the historic/classic in October next year, might get chance then for a chat :D