strange engine rattle

scooby

ello folks ;)

hope it's ok to post here as need max opinions ;)

looking for help what else :( i.ve developed a strange rattle on the injector pump side of my motor , here's what i know

within a couple of minutes of starting from cold ( no problems starting ) a rattle develops it's not loud almost a ticking , it's not tappets or brake servo pump only 12 months old ,

the noise seems to be coming from or around injector pump ( new timing belt and water pump fitted approx 15 months ago ,

new aux belt tensioner fitted 6 months ago with new belt , i had a bloke who works on landy's check it out and he said he'd never heard that niose before from a 300 disco and the only thing he could think was it would be the injector pump :angry: ouch ,

not what i need to hear as between jobs :lol: , so if it's a faulty pump i'll take a chance and nurse it through for a while but i'm concerned that if it's some type of bearing on or around the pump that could slip the timing belt and make it terminal , any advice , suggestions or has anybody had or got this problem '

be gentle :P

p.s - no excessive use of fuel , water or oil

water temp o.k

Probably just a loose timing belt? I would get the cover off ASAP as the 300tdi has been known to wear the belt quickly if the tensioners and rollers etc have not been replaced with modified ones.

ello folks ;)

hope it's ok to post here as need max opinions ;)

looking for help what else :( i.ve developed a strange rattle on the injector pump side of my motor , here's what i know

within a couple of minutes of starting from cold ( no problems starting ) a rattle develops it's not loud almost a ticking , it's not tappets or brake servo pump only 12 months old ,

the noise seems to be coming from or around injector pump ( new timing belt and water pump fitted approx 15 months ago ,

new aux belt tensioner fitted 6 months ago with new belt , i had a bloke who works on landy's check it out and he said he'd never heard that niose before from a 300 disco and the only thing he could think was it would be the injector pump :angry: ouch ,

not what i need to hear as between jobs :lol: , so if it's a faulty pump i'll take a chance and nurse it through for a while but i'm concerned that if it's some type of bearing on or around the pump that could slip the timing belt and make it terminal , any advice , suggestions or has anybody had or got this problem '

be gentle :P

p.s - no excessive use of fuel , water or oil

water temp o.k

Have you ran it without the alternator belt on to see if the noise goes away?

I had a similar noise on my own, was sure it was injection pump side, either lift pump or brake vacuum pump.

Even had the front cover off to check the belt etc. Turned out to be the alternator. :angry:

Rear bearing was noisy, and it was resonating through the timing cover.

I Have had a simlar noise before which turned out to be the end of my camshaft started to break up :o which was causing a ticking/rattling nosie at first i thought it was the tappet's.

hello folks ;)

thanks very much for your info , sounds like i may have some major problems here

so i'll remove the alt belt tomorrow and if that is'nt the fault i may have to park the old beast up and start doing this job

and all the rest i've had to put off over the last 12 months :( if i find what the problem is with the engine i'll post the fault

thanks again to you all ;)

the little rubber feet on the airfilter box havent snapped have they?

front of my air box rattled like mad at certain engine revs - I thought the engine was about to go pop.

only noticed it when i lent on the airbox to lean over the top of the engine to listen from a different angle and the rattle stopped. Couple of cable ties sorted it...

ello chaps ;)

i hope to have a look yesterday(sunday) but due other issue's i never got chance

but had to nip out today and i notice the rattle had gone quiet sligthly but tomorrow i'm going to

try suggestions by pugwash , nicks90 , muddy-muppet first as they'll be quickest

then if no joy i'll start removing parts as advised by the rest or you guy and report back as i go through each one

thanks again lads ;)

It's not an Auto is it? The EDC model 300tdi's make a ticking noise anyway - they are supposed to, but to be honest you should hear it before you start the engine and it's probably not loud enough tot hear over the engine

It's not an Auto is it? The EDC model 300tdi's make a ticking noise anyway - they are supposed to, but to be honest you should hear it before you start the engine and it's probably not loud enough tot hear over the engine

thanks sotal but it's manual ;)

I too have a 96 discovery that has developed a strange rattle/whirr. It starts at just over 1000rpm and is present through the entire rev range above 1000rpm, once the revs drop back below that the noise often stops. It is never there on start up, only when the revs increase.

I have had the timing belt and associated bearings checked, nothing. The pump has been away for testing, they say that there is nothing wrong with the pump but did service and calibrate for me.

Since it's been back together the rattle has changed changed in character slightly, in that it lessons when the engine is under load (going up hill) and it's not continuous once the revs drop below 1000rpm. Another difference is that there seems to be a rev limiter cutting in at about 3500rpm, I presume that the pump needs altering slightly.

I too have a 96 discovery that has developed a strange rattle/whirr. It starts at just over 1000rpm and is present through the entire rev range above 1000rpm, once the revs drop back below that the noise often stops. It is never there on start up, only when the revs increase.

I have had the timing belt and associated bearings checked, nothing. The pump has been away for testing, they say that there is nothing wrong with the pump but did service and calibrate for me.

Since it's been back together the rattle has changed changed in character slightly, in that it lessons when the engine is under load (going up hill) and it's not continuous once the revs drop below 1000rpm. Another difference is that there seems to be a rev limiter cutting in at about 3500rpm, I presume that the pump needs altering slightly.

Cured the rattle, let my son use it for a weekend mud plugging and hey ho, rattle has gone. now running like a dream.