Modifying 4dr seats to fit a 2dr

Strega

I think the answer is no, not for the simple mechanical reason you expect though!

Two door front seats (and the seat backs) are rare in that they are specially made to conform to BS standards for seatbelt mountings, four door seats aren't so cannot be fitted unless you implement an alternative mounting method for the shoulder strap. The door pillar on a two door is not a suitably reinforced anchorage as standard.

Been there and nearly bought a lovely set of leather seats before someone pointed out the obvious to me!! :P

AndyG

The seatbelt issue is something I was also wondering about, hence leaving the original seats in mine for now, but in future I was thinking of welding a large (very tall) plate to the B pillar with a captive nut, which although I am convinced would be strong, could be a potential problem if for instance I ever sold the vehicle, or had an accident with a passenger.. as it is not original. Same goes for mounting the rest of the belt at the other two points I guess. I wonder what made them decide to have the belts as part of the seat? The only advantage I can see is better rear access, and the fact that adjusting the seat does not affect the belt tightness.

I wonder what made them decide to have the belts as part of the seat?

I think it is because the B pillar is too far back with the seat adjusted to its most forward position. There is a danger that the belt would come off the shoulder of any shortarse sitting in the seat. It was obviously a big deal because, reputedly, the law had to be changed to allow the Range Rover integrated seat belt solution.

I find it a pain in the bum because the seats can't be made to recline.

5.jpg

you can see in this csk pic that later ones mounted to the b pillar. i expect this is the same set up as in later lhd 2 doors you will see in europe with the more modern mid 80's on seats.

i have read about reinforcement of the b pillar on an australian forum before, perhaps you could do a search on outerlimits4x4.com maybe a parts manual might reveal is there is a land rover part for this.

Yes and Yes.

If you have 4-door seats alone it is hard. If you have worn-out 2-door seats you have all the parts you need. The main difference is in the way bottom and rear are connected - the frames are identical. What I did was to fit the rear frame of 2-door seats to the base and cushions from a 4-door softdash.

Rear bench works well, later 2-doors already have the right mounting holes. Only you have to adapt the catch from the 4-door or get the expensive CSK version.

Pictures of both things are here. Text is German, but pics international.

Cheers

Carsten ;-)

• 2 years later...