spongey clutch pedal

mobey

Hi guys newbie here to the forum, I have a 2003 Disco 2.5TDI. About a few weeks ago I noticed that when i come to press the clutch pedal down it was very floppy to about a quarter of the way down then you would feel the resistance and the clutch would work as per norm. I took it to a garage who told me it could be the Slave Cylinder to which he put a new one on only to make the problem worse. The pedal is floppy to about half way down before you get resistance for the clutch to disengage. Now the clutch does not slip the gears I can get okish well second can be difficult when cold but it has always been like that.

The guy at the garage told me he thinks its the clutch but I however have my doubts however he referred me to a garage two units down that could change the clutch for me, so when I went down he could not give me a price as he needed to price up the parts. I rang round myself and can get a clutch kit for about £81 delivered so I rang this guy back up and said give me a labour charge as I can get the clutch delivered, he turned around and said oh sorry mate im not interested then if your getting the clutch.

Before I go buying the clutch would it be possible or more likely to be the master cylinder that is at fault and not the clutch itself. I do get a groaning noise from the release bearing only when cold though and she has done 96000 miles

A worn clutch won't make the pedal floppy - just where the bite point is. Check the return spring on the clutch pedal shaft, it may have stretched over time. The pedal should stay in the raised position even if the clutch mechanism and hydraulics are out of the car.

Les.

IME with the D2 I've found that the clutch hydralics can be a bit tricky to bleed. I'd also check that this has been done properly, after the slave cylinder change, if you feel the problem has got worse.

I agree with Les; best off checking simple things first.

Difficulty engaging 2nd on your gearbox is fairly common is often cured with an oil change.

HTH

Just spent a happy couple of hours trying to bleed the slop out of my 200tdi Disco's clutch - without success. In fact at one stage it got worse! I couldn't get it to pump through at all and I decided (not sure why) that it's the master cylinder that's the problem. The only way I managed to get any pedal at all was to open the bleed-valve and gently (carefully) pressurise the reservoir through the vent-hole.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I have only just bought mine and so far the list is:

Clutch down

Heater blower not working

OS headlight corroded

OSR tyre leaking

NSF hub getting hot

Steers right on brakes

Sun roof leaking

No battery retainer

Waste-gate appears to be the wrong one and was disconnected (do I need a waste-gate anyway? ;) )

Anybody want to buy a Discovery? :(

TwoThreeSheds

Unless this was bled using pressure then it won't be bled propperly. And even then it's quite difficult to get it right and improves over time.

not true they do sumtimes do this get trapped air and over night it sorts itself