Seduced by the dark side

Ivan

We've done a hell of alot of practise and thought about overlanding recently... and there's one thing that is key (and anyone claiming to know all the answers usually forgets...):

What will suit you is the best solution.

'the best' solution in your eyes is infuriating for someone else. Out of the box solutions rarely exist and it's just a case of adapting your choice of vehicle and storage solutions to what you desire. I've been some places where I wouldn't of wanted to take a trailer and I've been to others where a trailer would be a perfect solution, all depends on what you're doing and where you're going. I think, for us, we've hit the nail on the head now, we've got everything on/in in the Camel in easily accessible places, nothing inside will move if we end up on the roof, so pretty safe, and even with the roof tent (which is half the weight of a howling moon) we've been fully loaded on some serious side slopes at 7S with no problems :lol: So fine for us as a contained unit... and plans for a trailer are in the future so we've got the choice should we need more room in the vehicle :)

I used to be dead set aginst trailers to be honest - it was my main job of a while at LRE. But then I started experimenting with proper trailers/starting building my own off road jobbie (longer term than Jim's wagon).

I have had the truly awful experience of towing some of the ludicrously overpriced stuff that is on the market but it's all to heavy, too complex and too unwieldy.

A nice simple single axled trailer with a nice wide track, brakes, handbrake, decent suspension and then as Mr Freezer says, chuck all the cr*p in there you don't want cluttering up the vehicle

As you say Jen. Goose and Gander come into the situation. It is nice to see/know what others are doing though. I try to carry the heavy stuff between the wheels.

Hence the fresh water tank in the rear footwell. The four 10litre jerry cans at the back of the short roofrack. Light stuff like the bedding and sleeping gaet goes in the topbox.

Notice in my pics that I had two alli boxes made to fit between the Wolf boxes and the side of the vehicle.

I'm having a change round this year. Four Wolf boxes at the front of the load bay. Two to the right at the rear. Then the tent on the left. Maybe on top of two Wolf boxes.I'm trying to leavr stuff behind. Not really succeeding......

At the end of our last trip we put the Defender on a weighbridge. 3,995kg without fuel, food and water ??? Makes you shudder to know what the real weight is/was. At least 3.3kg if not more. The comment from the guy at the weighbridge. "You have that nicely loaded as it doesn't look to be heavily loaded" The arches lifted 30mm after I emptied it.

There are a lot of Toyotas here (Aus) and huge support in aftermarket accessories. The diesel models can be easily be made into a good expedition vehicle.

The performance of the 6 cyl, indirect injection NA diesel is not particularly good and the turbo version is not a lot better as it is compromised by the high compression ratio.

The overhead cam, direct injection, turbo diesel engine is much better, but the early versions have a bad reputation for bearing failures.

The 100 series have independent front suspension, which causes a lot of problems off road. Australia has a 105 series, which has a rigid front axle, but it can't be bought with the good engine!! AFAIK the 105 series is not available in any other country.

I've seen these reviewed in a couple of the Aus 4x4 mags, had a drive of one a while back, sort of like an updated Defender with a 4.5litre V8 common rail intercooled turbo diesel. I hate to say it but it was really very nice to drive & seemed to have sh!t loads of room & plenty of space underneath for long range fuel tanks etc. Hmmmm. :D :D

Link hereTLC 70 sw

Steve.

When we leave Dubai I will be facing a similar delemer, as out here we can afford to own 2 decent 4x4s, but when we return to OZ we will only be able to have one, and it has to be able to do everything comfortably. My first choice will probably be a 100/105 series cruiser or Nissan Patrol, the bodies on the cruisers are much better than the Patrols, but the drive lines in the patrols are almost unbreakable. The cruisers out here in the desert regularly break if pushed hard, troubles with transmissions, front crown wheel & pinion with locker fitted and the independant front suspension. I have still yet to hear of any major problems with the patrols other than having a sluggish transmission, the only engine they offer with the patrols out here is a 4.8lt petrol so I don`t know of any of the issues associated with the diesels.

For a budget vehicle the 80 series cruiser is fantastic value, so this would be my choice. Now that I have left the UK and am now in the minority being a LR owner, I can see a lot of reason for jumping ship, as much as I love LRs and think the defender is close to the ultimate std 4x4, but when it comes to the all round package the compatition has a lot to offer.

One of the other big reasons is lack of dealer networks world wide for LR support, just about every small town in OZ and out here has a toyota dealer, which is good security when heading off the beaten track. LR offer very poor dealer networks in OZ away from the major cities, so this will be another factor in a decission of what to buy next.

As mentioned previously in the thread the 75/78/70 series cruiser is very hard to beat for a more utilitarian 4x4, un-breakable drive line, but lacks the articulation and suspension comfort of a defender.

<snip> the only engine they offer with the patrols out here is a 4.8lt petrol so I don`t know of any of the issues associated with the diesels.

<snip>.

the TD42T is virtually indestructible. Very old school, indirect injected engine that just goes and goes.

Gutless stock, it comes alive fitting a new dump pipe and 3" exhaust for $660 (it really is strangled with the NA exhaust :rolleyes: ) and a mild pump/boost tweak.

Unfortunately there are less than 400 new ones left in Oz and they going fast. The poor old girl doesn't meet the current emission standards.

scuttlebutt is a common rail version of the hand grenade ZD30 3 litre, but no ones really sure.

Ok, hand grenade is probably a little harsh, but geez there were more than a few died spectacularly within the first few years of introduction. Apparently air flow meters are a problem too.

With only 100bhp I doubt it's going to cut it on the 'decent performance' front... If it's at all like most camper I wouldn't want to take it anywhere near a side slope, either. Being built on a fairly heavy duty truck it might avoid the common camper curse of having very little spare payload, though.

Nice truck, though, and a bit different - cabin looks a bit claustrophic, but maybe that's just the photos.

That things got the same shower as my house. Just a little superior to the usual camper/caravan fare, but how much water does it get through?! :blink:

There was a family turned uo at Toro Safari Lodge with a huge camper body on a Toyota Land Cruiser chassis. Yep the prope Land Cruiser. You should have seen the rear overhang. The thing didn't half roll and that was driving over the grass on the camp site.

mike

went to strata florida last year with "ONE- LIFE ADVENTURE" most of their followers swear bu cruisers, (80 series), i must admit, they made light of places where landies struggled. Some pics attached, tha silver cruiser is Eddie Priscott who owns Frogs Island 4x4. He did it all with a trailer like he was on his way back from Asda, very impressive. He's the man to talk to for all things cruiser and will even help source one for you.

post-3689-1183919354_thumb.jpg

went to strata florida last year with "ONE- LIFE ADVENTURE" most of their followers swear bu cruisers, (80 series), i must admit, they made light of places where landies struggled. Some pics attached, tha silver cruiser is Eddie Priscott who owns Frogs Island 4x4. He did it all with a trailer like he was on his way back from Asda, very impressive. He's the man to talk to for all things cruiser and will even help source one for you.

That's not a Cruiser to me. I mean the big one with squareish front mudguards. :lol:

mike

"Toyota, Toyota, Toyota, did i say Toyota?

Sure, but it's not now, never was and never will be............ a Land Rover........... "

Thats exactly why its better!

Fridgefreezer has made some good points about Kai's Cruiser i travelle d the whole trip round Russia in that, planty of room for us and clobber, ride quality was that of coils, it is on lifted old man emu springs and 35" tyres. Offroad it got through some really impressive stuff, of course a great deal of that comes down to the driver knowing his vehicle and having done numerous safaris into russia with it he knows it pretty dam well. and best of all after a hard day driving trails into stage then walking a few KM's around you can come back to the car and have a cold beer! :)