Boot Floor

sotal

I am sure the handbook is correct but as I have already stated the mot tester is not able to inspect in depth. Have you seen the "corosion assement tool" or "toffee hammer" the use.

I have made a reapir to my vehicle and told everyone how I did it and what an mot inspector is looking for not what is required by the letter of the law.

I am sure that if someone is able to weld they will be able to make their own judgement on how far to go.

I know my repair is stronger than standard and you are welcome to test it if you like.

Andy

No one needs to test the joint you have created, as agency's from around the world have already tested many vehicles repaired to a sub-standard. That is why we have the MOT rules. The British Government did not sit down and decide, “how can we fcuk around the general driver”. The idear is to ensure all vehicles on our roads are safe, and that is right. You may think the repair is sound, but this means nothing if your insurance company decides, the vehicle was un-roadworthy and therefore you are in breach or your insurance agreement and the policy is void. If your sure the joint is sound, fire a letter of to your insurance company quoting this thread and publish the response you get.

No one needs to test the joint you have created, as agency's from around the world have already tested many vehicles repaired to a sub-standard. That is why we have the MOT rules. The British Government did not sit down and decide, “how can we fcuk around the general driver”. The idear is to ensure all vehicles on our roads are safe, and that is right. You may think the repair is sound, but this means nothing if your insurance company decides, the vehicle was un-roadworthy and therefore you are in breach or your insurance agreement and the policy is void. If your sure the joint is sound, fire a letter of to your insurance company quoting this thread and publish the response you get.

Not quite sure what you are on about there? Not sure if you are agreeing disagreeing or something else?

Im trying to remain indifferant, but I would like DIYers to think before making repairs. Im not saying the repair is not sound, i dont know, ive not seen it tested. and bearing in mind the Land Rover Seris, is little more than a bolt togather kit. but its the rule of law thats important here.

I am currently repairing my 3 door Disco. About 5cm wide strip on each side ot the wheel arches need replacing. I have cut the rust out so I now need to fabricate 2 strips of steel to weld back. The front and back horizontal support strips are the only ones that are attached (or were once) to the flat bit where the wheel arch is, then follows under the whole floor and again attached on the other side. These have rusted away so the ends are not conected. I will cut these off and rivet or weld new ends on (depends on how easy is to weld them back). The horizontal support struts in the middle of the floor are not connected to the sides. Then the new sides on and should be ready for MOT.

If the MOT man is not happy they will tell me - see what happens. Interesting learning curve :)

Well I've finished welding in the patches, not the prettiest welding ever (especially after the gas ran out!) but it's very strong and gets hidden by the carpet!

It's amazing how much stronger the boot floor feels now, I thought it wasn't that bad before but now it makes me realise it was!

Can't see anything else wrong for MOT, MOT is due in about 7 weeks so I'll get it done in about 3 weeks time before anything else breaks.

Could do with just adjusting the back door to stop the water getting in and doing the same again, the door is visibly out of alignment, the top near side corner is quite a bit out, is it just a case of slackening the hinge bolts with an assistant and trial and error until it's in the right place?