Testing a VC

RRC, Workshop Manual (NOT Overhaul Manual), Section 41 Transfer Gearbox, Overhaul, Dismantle, Inspection & Overhaul.

Now this test shows the VC removed from the TC, with one of the VC shafts held in the vice, but I really don't see why it cannot be applied to a VC in the TC, with the output flange to the rear propshaft locked still.

If the box is in the car then I suggest applying the handbrake, but the front propshaft will have to be disconnected from the Transfer Case.

With the box on the bench, as in this case, then pehaps adjust the handbrake on hard?

Edited from the book

Viscous unit - rolling resistance Bench check

NOTE: Testing should be carried out in an ambient of 20 °C.

9. Secure the output shaft ...

11. Apply a clockwise torque of 27 Nm to the (front propshaft) output flange nut. If no resistance to turn is felt, unit requires replacing.

12. If resistance to turn is felt, apply a clockwise torque of 20Nm to the (front propshaft) output flange nut for 1 minute, this should result in a rotation of approximately 25° - 30°. If no rotation or a greater force is required, unit requires replacing.

27 Nm = 20 lbf-ft

20 Nm = 15 lbf-ft

Subject to peer review, I think this method could go in the Tech Archive, as "has the VC seen better days?" is a perennial question.

Cheers.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy