Hi-Lift Jack mounting

Scotian

Hi people. I've had my Hi-lift (Not genuine) mounted on the rear of my 90 for about 9 months now with genuine Hi-Lift mounts. It did perfectly untill I got to Romania and the rear pannels started to wobble lots and lots with the constant off road conditions that are the normal A roads and Towns. It got so bad that around the very top bolts the rear roof pannel started to tear making a horrible clicking noise that took me hours to track down. You will see also a line of bolts fitted where the spot welds all broke on the rear quarter pannel.

Anyway. For the past month its been sat in the back being a real pain in the bum knocking around becuase it was pulling the bodywork apart being fixed to the outside.

Now I just fitted a length of 6mm Aluminium that stretches from the rear cross member up to the top of the mount. Hopefully now its all strong enough to take the riggors of Romanian roads.

If anyone wants to "shake" out any problems with their landrover before a trans africa trip just come to Romania for a few weeks. Everything that is going to break will do here and you can then go to Africa knowing its all been replaced of strengthend :P

Here are a couple of pics of how its fitted now. Anyone else got any different ways they have theirs fitted and is it tested to the extream like mine is getting here..

post-7320-1207142966_thumb.jpg

post-7320-1207142981_thumb.jpg

Anyone else got any different ways they have theirs fitted and is it tested to the extream like mine is getting here..

I've not done it yet, mainly because I have not taken possession of my Defender, but I intend to mount it like this (I've no connection with the supplier BTW):

http://www.frontrunner.co.za/fr_products/p...ts/FRLR104.html

Hope to finally have the vehicle by the end of the week...

Ruaraidh

I mounted my Jackall on Jackall mounting brackets behind the front seats. I had a Safari at the time and the brackets went in the front of the rear seat footwell at the back of the front seat box. I didn't have any rear seats (didn't have any seats in the back) so it didn't matter.

why not just put it where the origional one goes behind the seats on the bulkhead?

thats where mine is, its out of the way but there when you need it, (obviously you can only do this with a 4 foot version)

Anyone else got any different ways they have theirs fitted and is it tested to the extream like mine is getting here..

mines attached to the vertical face of the right rear wheelbox

1. rack/handle mount jack stowed

IMG_0768.jpg

2. foot mount jack stowed

IMG_0769.jpg

3. rack/handle mount without jack

IMG_0773.jpg

4. foot mount without jack

IMG_0772.jpg

Nice too see all the different ways. I couldnt for a second fit my jack behind the front seats. simply no room for the width and length of it. I tried having it inside along the wheel arch boxes on the floor but the day I had to empty the whole packed full rear in order to get the jack out to change a wheel made me want it outside.

I thought about front bumper but the bull bars are in the way, and if I mounted it on the bull bars it would be a hazzard and stick out way too much. I never thought about mounting it allong the rear cross member. I like that and kinda wish I did that but I'm happy with having it vertical up the rear :o that sounds rude..

Only trouble with having it outside is having to lock it and the chance of it being nicked and taking all the weather.

I guess everyone has there reasons for doing it their way. I still like that rear cross member way :)