The most powerful "D90" ever built?

BogMonster

With two Olympus turbines (same engines as Concorde, more or less) I would think the fuel consumption makes a V8 look quite frugal!

They are an impressive sight (and sound) at full pelt, I went on a "sea day" a couple of years back and was on one of the RFA ships watching a Type 42 exercising - went past us at 30 knots about 100 yards off the port side, v v v impressive! The wake behind the ship at full speed comes up higher than the helideck... not sure what happens if they then slow down too fast though, I guess the blokes standing on the lower deck below the helipad get a bit wet :lol:

Seen one of the latest frigates (type 23?) at full pelt hit a freek wave completely out the water like a speed boat impressive. have a several mates serving and when one does a "racing turn" on anti sub duty hold on to your cookies and something immovable.

both engines full ahead

begin turn (port) "full lock"

port engine full astern

back end whips around quicker than the front

port engine full ahead "wheel amidships" (joystick nowadays) and recross area you think sub is

8 like this apparently

Probably converted to use LPG :D

Interesting, that, after a two year refit, went out on sea trials, broke down in the solent, had to be towed back into harbour, just before it came down to you bogbuster had to have an engine change in the caribbean, spos about par for a LR.

Probably converted to use LPG :D

Nope they use AVCAT a aviation fuel blend used to be on all UK aircraft carriers for the ship & embarked aircraft, simply because it's safer than Avtur fuel, Avcat has a higher flashpoint.

Edited by western

Which red roof is yours Bogbuster?

The red one :D

Mine isn't quite in the first photo, just off to the left. However it is in another one I took from a different angle:

BBB.jpg

My humble hovel - much prefer the old place:

x17.jpg

that's where I'm headed for Christmas :)

While we're on a nautical theme here are some pics from the sea day...

Oooer I think we're being followed :o

followed.jpg

Point that thing somewhere else!!!

pointthatthing.jpg

HMS Cardiff at 0.00000001mpg :D

d108bowwave.jpg

anybody got a surfboard?!

d108stern.jpg

come to think of it water-skiing might have been better B) might have been a bit choppy round the back though :unsure:

last photo is nice, first time I have seen one at full chat, they rarely run them fast because we can't afford the fuel.

I work with one of the guys that is trying to get the retreat for falkland vets down your way, in fact I work with about 3 guys who were on ships down that way, everyone of them is a pleasure to deal with, seems to remove the BS from the naval people IMHO, some of the newer lot seem to have BS in abundance.

For information the red sea dart missiles are display ones, Southampton was obviously trying to fly the flag at the time :)

Nope they use AVCAT a aviation fuel blend used to be on all UK aircraft carriers for the ship & embarked aircraft, simply because it's safer than Avtur fuel, Avcat has a higher flashpoint.

We actually just burn diesel in the gas turbines

Geoff