Quality of posts/threads

Les Henson

Hi,

I thought I would throw my 2p worth in.

I think the standard of moderation is great - although I only have a low post count I have had a lot of use out of this forum - both through general reading, people responding to my questions and generous offers of help from people (sometimes at the other end of the country). I think the current moderation will help stop the forum becoming a victim of its own success.

Also, I don't think an off-topic section is a good idea. If you look at the the 'other' forums with an off-topic section, you tend to see less contributions to the technical/members vehicles threads.

I think strong moderation and no off topic section are the key to keeping the excellent signal/noise ratio this board has.

Thanks, (esp. to the mods who keep the forum going)

Phil

I say keep it the way it is, and as white90 said if you dont like it then move on!! I am so glad that i found this site as it has saved me money and time and there is always something new out there being shown or invented by one of the many clever people on this great forum to spur my mind on and break my wallet!, so thank you to the mods and admin for making a great place.

Hi,

I thought I would throw my 2p worth in.

I think the standard of moderation is great - although I only have a low post count I have had a lot of use out of this forum - both through general reading, people responding to my questions and generous offers of help from people (sometimes at the other end of the country). I think the current moderation will help stop the forum becoming a victim of its own success.

Also, I don't think an off-topic section is a good idea. If you look at the the 'other' forums with an off-topic section, you tend to see less contributions to the technical/members vehicles threads.

I think strong moderation and no off topic section are the key to keeping the excellent signal/noise ratio this board has.

Thanks, (esp. to the mods who keep the forum going)

Phil

By Far one of the best replies by a newbie on this forum.

My GAWD, don't introduce an O/T board to this forum! It'll only introduce this place to a new heard of rift raft that'll try to drag this place down.

In 3 short years, the success of this forum is based solely on the product that they offer to the membership. No nonsense Land Rover tech information/help/advice/ideas/support........etc...... The combination of the people here, the moderation (I'd say "appropriate" not the so called heavy handed) and knowledge is what keeps the heart beat going and for many years to come.

Play by the simple to follow rules and enjoy what is at hand, everybody will benefit. ;)

Todd.

I too like the forum the way it is......I went through 2 other forums that seems friendly and helpful on the surface, but actually quite rude when you got down to it, so I kept podding on and found LR4x4 and I've been here since. :)

The Tech advise from the likes of Les and so on is second to none...I look here before the Haynes Manual....I've just rebuilt my front hub using one Les' "how to's", asked him advice on it by PM and it was all spot on (cheers for that by the way Les :i-m_so_happy: ), none of the "listen you daft ****...." I was getting from other forums. :rolleyes:

My initial post suggesting of the OT forum was just a idea and I can see why you don't want to go down that road, plus if I want to chat utter s***e then it's off to Sounthern Downhill to talk.....errrrr...."current events".....hmmm....yes that'll do.... :lol:

Forum works very well as it is.....although do I think you're missing out on the "Hot Girls Thread" from SDH ;):P

Keep up the good work guys :)

Having read a lot of replies by both people who use the forum, moderators and Admin, i certainly did not realise just how big this forum is. I initially agreed with others about maybe looking at O/T section but from the replies and reasons i would agree an OT section is not the best of ideas, havng looked more in to the general chat sections on forums it does show how mailicous / bitchy / unhelpful people can be and that to me puts me off those forums.

This is a great place to read / post and like many others on here and i am sure others that are still to find this forum, i have found a great deal of advice / help / ideas and have gone from nil mechincal experience or knowledge to having the confidence to save my money and do the work myself.

Guys keep up the good work it is appreciated

BogMonster brought up the subject of numbers. I've noted the Membership numbers go over 8,500, but I have wondered how many different individuals visit the Forum in any 7 day period. Obviously any answer will be approximate, but it might just help people get a grip on reality if they realised they should be writing as though a thousand people will read the post, instead of aiming the content at a close circle of people, with the shorthand and 'private jokiness' that goes with a small group (almost wrote clique).

Few stats: we get some 5000 visitors a day with an average time of site of almost 10 minutes a visitor!! That people arround the world spend so long reading the posts we have all contributed too must say something about the quality of the posts (now over 250,000!!) that have been assembled in the last two and a bit years.

Few stats: we get some 5000 visitors a day with an average time of site of almost 10 minutes a visitor!! That people arround the world spend so long reading the posts we have all contributed too must say something about the quality of the posts (now over 250,000!!) that have been assembled in the last two and a bit years.

is that 5000 unique visitors or just 5000 people hitting the site?

Mods and Admins do a great job- most of us are still here and contributing so you guys must be doing somethign right!

In recent months I have noticed just how many new members are posting genuine enquiries, to the extent that I do not have time to read so many of them as I used to.

I normally use the 'view new posts' button but am finding that I cannot review all the posts (due to time constraints) since I last looked, which is on a daily basis.

I find I am having to look at specific forums such as defender, for sale, wanted and international to cover my particular interests, but then may miss out on interesting items on the others. This reflects the price of success for LR4X4, as it grows you can't expect to read most posts unless you do nothing else with your time.

I am always staggered how Les and others have the time to put together their pictorial technical posts, and hold down their busy day jobs. Their interest in the forum and Land Rovers speaks for itself!

The mods must be having to spend a lot more time recently keeping this site clear of clutter, so a clear posting etiquette is critical to help them as the site grows.

Using the search facility is not always straight forward, so it is easy to give up after a couple of goes (especially if one is new to the site) and then post the question.

Is it possible to go straight to the - INDEX.* Read this Post before looking at any threads* - when people enter the technical archive, as I suspect many people don't read the sticky at the top before diving in! I know the instructions are simple but it might help, especially as we become more international.

This forum is no longer as cosy as it used to be, only because of the numbers of members now involved.

In the very early days the forum did appear a bit clique and a newbie could feel quite intimidated, but it was never intended to be so and is now not so.

We have from time to time suffered from growing pains, however the founders/moderators (I am not one nor have I ever met any of them) have always been quick to react and come up with a workable and fair solution, always seeking the opinions of the users, especially in determining the charter. They have kept true to the original ideals of the forum, having come with many of us from a now defunct forum controlled by a magazine publisher that was very controlling and manipulative. So they are very aware of "the king is dead long live the king" syndrome and have no desire to be compared or beholden to any outside influence beyond this forum.

Their concern and continuing vigilance is a testament to their continuing passion and interest in maintaining the best, most informative and helpful Land Rover orientated forum on this planet. (In my opinion)!

John

^^^^^^

Well said that man!

I have been guilty of straying O/T on a couple of occasions, and a sharp rap on the knuckles has brought me back around!

No offence was ever taken as they were right, and the forum is a better place for it.

There is an awful lot of dross to sort through on other non technical forums, even if there is still the occasional nugget to be gleaned.

The main problem with this forum is that there are so many good ideas, it is going to cost me a fortune!

Keep up the good work mods, it is appreciated.

A few people have commented that before you post a question, you should search to see if it has laready been answered.

As has already been mentioned, the search function is cumbersome and does not actually work that well. It just takes too much effort to plough through the results.

I have actually found that searching via google often works better! Search for "LR4x4 " followed by whatever you are looking for.

Now, it is possible to have google index a site and provide the search functionality within that site. I've used this once before for a document management system. It only returns results from that site.

I wondered if we could use something similar - redirect the search link to a dedicated google search page? Apart from the effort of setting it up, there is no administrative overhead and it could well reduce the amount of moderation and duplicate posts moving forward.

Si

If you click on 'advanced search' next to the 'box' on the google page, you get more options and you can specify a domain name within which it will search: 'Search within a site or domain:'

Stick in lr4x4.com, and you have a search of this forum.

It was always a useul trick for Pirate4x4 searches before they re-enabled the feature to non-star holders.

Al. :)

I have actually found that searching via google often works better!

Adding "site:forum.lr4x4.com" after your query will limit the return google gives just to this forum.

It may be worth posting a "sticky" tips and tricks topic at the top of forums to help people with search tips.

LR90 showed me a map this week which gave details of usage by different countries around the world of this forum. I was amazed to see how little of the world are not yet "believers"! This really is a global site.

As I have said before the moderation and admin on this forum keep it interesting, useful, and possible to find stuff. It is great that you are keeping this policy going forward.

You searched for: SVA

Unfortunately your search didn't return any results.

Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.

Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'.

hmmph, as an addendum to the search issues I got the above just now and I know there are lots of posts with SVA in them, ;)

off to try something else