UK Spares via the NET

Hi folks,

I need to import an alternator from a UK supplier to ZA. Would J Craddock or Island 4x4 be trustworthy suppliers of OEM spares ...... any suggestions about quality price etc would be appreciated.

Also anybody with experience ....... do I pay the VAT in the UK and ask them to courier 7,5 kgs to me or is it better to do the proper import thing via letter of credit ...... and pay VAT when it arrives in ZA ?

Cheers

Wikus

Hi Wikus

I have found paddock spares to be very reasonable and I have had no delivery issues (that said I am in the UK)

http://www.paddockspares.com/

They deliver to Europe and the States so I am guessing they will deliver to SA.

With regard the VAT: sorry I dont know but I am sure they will advise according to their preferred methods <_<

You can email them and ask from their contacts page

theyre a big company so should be safe (I am not suggetsing you will have any delivery problems with the firms you mention though and no I dont have any shares in the company :P but found them to be the cheapest most times I checked for stuff)

Good Luck

Seth

Mike, i have not been able to find a supplier in ZA that has stock including the agents. The agents charge more than double the import price (incl shipping and taxes) than if I had to buy elsewhere.

Everybody I have spoken to over a period of two weeks refer me back to the agents. Even the auto ill-lectricians are hesitant to help where it comes to the stator. I can get a regulator, and maybe a diode pack but not a stator. Rewinding was also considered but would take too long.

Other manufacturer alternatives do not seem to exist at this stage due to the vacuum pump bolted onto the front of the alternator. Toyota uses something similar but not 120A.

I could get creative and modify the whole thing to use an alternator without the pump but prefer to stick to the original design. Either way the solution is not easy / cheap.

I just managed to drive the landy back from a remote area to Cape Town (900k's) but in the process damaged the stator windings further .......

:(

Hi Wikus

I have found paddock spares to be very reasonable and I have had no delivery issues (that said I am in the UK)

http://www.paddockspares.com/

I've used Paddocks for many years, both when I was in the UK, and when I was in Malaysia (though then I ordered a load of stuff when I was back in the UK, and carried it back) - they are an excellent, friendly, company and I've found then 100% honest - they even gave me a hub-cap once to put some water in for my dog!

I have used Paddocks, sometimes a bit slow but mostly good, freight prices are good too. I have used Craddocks and Island 4x4 on ebay, Island are excellent. Also Keith Gott and John Richards. You will have to pay the tax and import duty at your end, if they charge it to you in the UK you cant get it back and will have to pay more at your end. I am in NZ.

Hi folks,

I need to import an alternator from a UK supplier to ZA. Would J Craddock or Island 4x4 be trustworthy suppliers of OEM spares ...... any suggestions about quality price etc would be appreciated.

Also anybody with experience ....... do I pay the VAT in the UK and ask them to courier 7,5 kgs to me or is it better to do the proper import thing via letter of credit ...... and pay VAT when it arrives in ZA ?

Cheers

Wikus

Hi

Try Roberts Country Vehicles www.rcvdoncaster.co.uk, i have used them for shipping items all over the world to me, while travelling, in the past excellent people who really know their stuff

Regards

Keith

Hi folks,

Cheers

Wikus

I used Island 4x4 and I live in Australia they were cheaper & very prompt service it was here in seven days very good service.

don't know if this is helpful to you.

Ted