to auto or not, that is the question.

simon red90

auto box in challenge truck  

42 members have voted

1. 1. auto box in challenge truck

• yes
    • no

least your tedious 5 will be powerful enough, i'm relying on an old "oil burner" as jim so aptly put it!

You're old oil burner will be more than fine with a tweek especially if you add propane. As far as gearing goes I kept standard r&p's (pegged) for strength, used a 1.66 t.box and an underdrive to boot. Have a look at the ratios (particularly high range with underdrive engaged) and I think you'll like them. Not a cheap option but strong and lots of ratios to play with.

Put it this way, the only thing NOT changing on the truck is the drivetrain (well I'm fitting some more power but that doesn't really count B) ) because I think I got it pretty well sorted before I ripped it apart.

least your tedious 5 will be powerful enough, i'm relying on an old "oil burner" as jim so aptly put it!

The TD5 is very on or off, and quite "in your face" when driving.

A well sorted TDI i think will actually give more control if not as much "in your face" top end :lol:

Jim

The TD5 is very on or off, and quite "in your face" when driving.

A well sorted TDI i think will actually give more control if not as much "in your face" top end :lol:

Jim

I agree on that one, as I have driven a chipped td5 and once the turbo is completely spooled up then it can be quite responsive but agressive and a little harsh. Not quite as responsive as a standard v8, but the v8 is smoother through the entire rev range, along with a well sorted mildly tuned 200 or 300, which also gives a smoother power feed.

Rhys

I would have thought that for "treading the crust".......

The auto would have offered you huge advantages over the manual box? In fact the only reason i can see for staying manual for that event is that a manual does not die when/if you fill it with water :lol:

A nice 6 speed box behind that big 5.7 would be luvly :)

Until of course it fills with water................. :D It is my one fear

Jim

oddly autos would actually be a distinct disadvantage for us Jim - lack of feedback, less control would make clocking tyres seriously difficult, add in water, long climbs and oil starvation plus the old peach of survivability and it keeps manuals at the top of the food chain for us :ph34r: unfortunately the 6 speed 6L80E's are only available in 2WD and rated to 430ft/lbs :( I can see an autos appeal for sand and challenge stuff but not for trophy raids

if you went over the pond then theres other options; lots of tough stuff kicking about for reasonable pennies. Manual valve bodied 700R4 is a good shot if you're looking for chunkyness, Monster Trans do a 650hp rated unit for $1400 or if you're pushing more than 700ft/lbs with nitrous on top PATC will build a Mega Raptor for $2700 (should be safe for most applications :unsure::blink: ), Monsters keep the auto function (if you shove it in drive) or work in full manual valve body mode if you select 1-3

horses for courses :)

oddly autos would actually be a distinct disadvantage for us Jim - lack of feedback, less control would make clocking tyres seriously difficult, add in water, long climbs and oil starvation

horses for courses :)

Can not see the lack of control bit a all................ :unsure:

But as you say

Horses for courses :D

Jim

Ps: Mouse looks the Boll*xs.

As much as I like the Auto for challenging and day to day driving my new racer is auto and I'm very sceptical about but that could just me getting used to it. Problem is the R380 would need some work to take the toque it has

Auto is band in big comp events like the Dakar

Can not see the lack of control bit a all................ :unsure:

the reduction in torque multiplication makes for an easier balance between engine note and traction (for me) nice and easy to hear how much load the motor is under and if the cars going to shift/spin or its up against and unseen obstacle - traction feedback is crucial, the other biggy is biting points - if you cant see your wheels (most of the time for us) you never know if one/some/all are spinning, manuals give you that feeback through your left foot - if you dont catch a spinning wheel asap a minor stuck turns into a stuck of pant munching proportions :ph34r:

I just wanna get Mouse finished before it finishes me...... Im shagged..

get a stronger box Jules?

my new racer is auto and I'm very sceptical about but that could just me getting used to it.

Mate of mine was in a similar situation, he spent a lot of years racing a manual then bought a 'new' racer that had an auto box and he too was very sceptical. No manual valve body or anything flash like that just a ZF box, but after a couple of races he was a convert. Just has to lock it down in to 2nd on the nadgery bits to stop it changing up to 3rd when he eases off - a Jag U-gate shifter helps here. I'd give it a few good goes and see how you like it, that motor should have enough power as sapping a bit of power is the main drawback of an auto IMHO.

I can see Jez's point about survivability of the gearbox - given the lack of support I think its an issue. I can also see the feedback issue particularly as not spinning wheels must be pretty crucial on the bog bits. I'd also agree that I prefer manual on fast twisty bits mainly because I tend to drive by flicking, lifting off and sliding - this doesn't work if you don't have engine braking. At some stage I may look at getting an electronic valve body with compushift and then run it as a manual box but with the option of whether or not to lock the torque convertor (IMHO the best part of an auto for technical stuff).

As far as oil starvation goes, has any one tried dry sumping an auto? Its something I've thought of doing as a way of carrying around more fluid and solving the starvation issue.

I really must get busy so I can start putting some of my ideas into practice..... :ph34r:

As far as oil starvation goes, has any one tried dry sumping an auto? Its something I've thought of doing as a way of carrying around more fluid and solving the starvation issue.

What starvation issue..........?

I send most of my time at silly angles at or beyond the point of roll over and do not suffer with either engine or gearbox........(been very impressed with the Td5 in this respect)

Kiss of death :rolleyes:

Perhaps i'm just lucky :ph34r: (That will be the day :lol: )

@Jez: Dig what your saying about hearing the engine to know what your wheels are doing. Most of the time in those situations we are winching at that point, rare we are driving so slow that we have to see the wheels to find control.

Traction usaully shows itself in most of the terrian we are on. Apart from Scotland where it is all to obvious what the F*ck the is happening :ph34r: Tree stumps or very deep bogs :lol:

Are the Frogs manual? for some reason i always expected them to be Auto? God knows why.....?

Jim