Tyres for Defender 110-Which Measure?

Hey friends.

I have a 2000 Defender 110.

Currently I use the 265/75 R16 Kumho Venture KL71 tires.

They are heavy and I think to get next tires to be better.

Would the 255/85R16 fit in the standard Defender with no lift?

I use standard Rims, metal, white, they are like wolfs, but do not have the holes.

thanks in advance.

255/85 tyres need a minimum rim width of 6.5 inches the standard rims are 5.5 so no good for the 255 tyres.

Although if he's already running 265/75's he should be on a minimum of a 7" rim.

I did say should be. :D

Unless the 265 is a typo and he meant 235's.

thanks for replying me, however I want to tell you the followings:

yes, I'm running now the 265/75, I fitted them on the standard rims that came with my car. The previous tires were 7.50x16 XPC Michelin.

I'm not sure I know the dimensions of the tires in inch.

So, what would you say now? Could I get the following tires the 255/85?

255/85 is a lovely size but quite unusual (BFG Muds excepted) and usually quite expensive relative to 235/85 or 265/75. The problem with fat tyres on a 110 is the steering lock is not good to start with, and fatter tyres make it worse. For an Mot they are not allowed to rub on anything.. If you fit wheels with less offset (ie further outboard) , or wheel spacers then much of the lock can be regained at the expense of increased load on the bearings; whether this seriously affects the bearing life has been a matter of much debate over the years (and I'm not meaning to rekindle it) I use 265/75 Cooper ST Maxx on 7" wide zero offset modualr wheels and I'm very pleased with them; you asked about lubricants and I tend to use Morris Lubricants' products, so far I have no complaints.

regarding the steering lock, please note that I already faced troubles with the 265/75 tires. I had to reduce the steering distance so that the steering wheel is turning a little less to avoid rubbing.

If I make a photo of the car as it is now, could you expect if I will find there any troubles while fitting the 255/85 tires?

Im afraid I couldn't find it now, however, I have seen the dimensions written on one of the rims.

here it is the first one: 5.50Fx16x33

other rims have only E529 1L (don't know what that means) and A648 4L

Btw, I have 2 kits of rims as I had 2 Defenders.

In case I make a photo of the car from aside, would that help you to suggest me?

so, I think the part number is ANR4636PM.

What do you think? I think I could fit them as I am already wear the 265/75.

Also, please tell me if these wheels are too heavy and if I should replace them with other ones? Please note that I do not need beautiful ones, as I am using the car for hunting.

I have 285x75x16 on my 110 on Boost wheels and no lift.

CIMG0023.sized.jpg

Since I bought the truck I havent tried it offroad but I guess I am going to foul various bits of bodywork. The stops have been adjusted and my lock is similar to that of a supertanker now. Turning around in a road is similar to that Austin Powers scene (20 point turn).

I guess at some point I will get a 2" lift which should fix the body mashing potential but without a change of wheels I guess I am stuck with a container ship turning circle.

Does anyone have any pictures of a Defender with 255/85/16 tyres fitted?

Ben

I think that if you get either some spacers or off set rims then you may solve some of your fowling issues (the spats however will still need to be trimmed), Im pretty sure that I have read in a few places that 285 75 16's need that as a minimum, and yeah a 2" lift would help but I dont think that it is totally necessery unless you have the rear axel at full articulation. Im planning on getting some 285 75 16's and Im not planning on giving her a lift, just HD suspension and -35 off set rims. Then again.... I may find out otherwise!

Could you post that picture again by any chance, I wasnt able to open it, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

For those on a budget, Argos (of all places) is advertising tyres on page 107 of their latest catalogue. One offer suggest "buy one get one free" on certain tyres. Probably excludes the sizes we all want but it might save somebody a few quid on some budget Avon tyres. They link to: http://www.national.co.uk/argos

Worth run a quick search if you are in the market for something cheaper than a fresh set of BFGs.

so, I think the part number is ANR4636PM.

What do you think? I think I could fit them as I am already wear the 265/75.

Also, please tell me if these wheels are too heavy and if I should replace them with other ones? Please note that I do not need beautiful ones, as I am using the car for hunting.

ANR4636PM - 16x5.5 inch Rim Tube Type, standard defender steel wheel.

your tyres will work better & be much safer on steel tubeless rims of 16 inch diameter & 6.5 or 7 inch width. my steel wheels are the heavy duty/military XD/Wolf variant, these are 6.5 inch wide.