A collection of problems on my TD5

NeilTD5

Following on from my last thread about having just bought a 2001 Discovery - this weekend saw the `3 Amigos' appear on the Dash (less than a week after purchase)

today, I took it to Woodside Garage in bedfordshire for them to stick it on their computer for a diagnostic. The results are not easy for me to swallow.

Basically, the faults narrow down to the following:

1) Near Side Front ABS sensor

2) Injector Harness and Top Gasket (apparantly oil is leaking along the harness and onto the plugs on the ECU?)

3) Air Suspension compressor not working

4) Coolant leak (fortunately seems to just be from a pipe joint, but not 100% sure)

5) Transmission whine they think is coming from the transfer box (they ran it upto 70mph on the ramp and reckon this is the cause of the slight rumble I thought might have been a wheel bearing).

So, to start with I'm going to order the ABS sensor and fit that and sort the coolant leak.

Any idea where I would get a replacement suspension compressor? - cant seem to find one anywhere other than ebay.

Needless to say I'm not very happy at the moment!.

Neil.

How many miles has this disco done?

Air compressor failure possibly linked to a leaking air sus bag i'd check that.

The injector wiring harness is common on virtually every one. If it has not been changed and it's causing problems i'd do it.

There is plenty of information on here about Disco TD5 coolant loss get searching ;) I've delt with a few instances of coolant leaking from the steel pipe behind the front crossmember worth investigating.

Sounds like some one sold the truck for a reason.

How many miles has this disco done?

Air compressor failure possibly linked to a leaking air sus bag i'd check that.

The injector wiring harness is common on virtually every one. If it has not been changed and it's causing problems i'd do it.

There is plenty of information on here about Disco TD5 coolant loss get searching ;) I've delt with a few instances of coolant leaking from the steel pipe behind the front crossmember worth investigating.

Sounds like some one sold the truck for a reason.

The disco's done 102k - Full LR service history, with seemingly everything thats needed doing in the past, being done.

The guy said he couldnt even hear the compressor working, but we'll look at the airbags too.

I'm searching at the moment about coolant loss, and from what I've seen the small drip of coolant looked like it was from a fairly large steel pipe with a bend at the bottom.

I suppose the thing is that any one I bought could have had the same problem(s) - I wrongly thought that having only been at LR within the last 4k miles that it might offer some safety net.

Basically, the faults narrow down to the following:

1) Near Side Front ABS sensor

2) Injector Harness and Top Gasket (apparantly oil is leaking along the harness and onto the plugs on the ECU?)

3) Air Suspension compressor not working

4) Coolant leak (fortunately seems to just be from a pipe joint, but not 100% sure)

5) Transmission whine they think is coming from the transfer box (they ran it upto 70mph on the ramp and reckon this is the cause of the slight rumble I thought might have been a wheel bearing).

Neil.

1) and 5) will probably be the same thing. Wheel bearing is worn cuasing the distance between the abs sensor and the wotsit to change causing a fault code to register.

My 2000 td5 had a slight whine whilst under load between 60-75 and a bit 'growly' at 45mph. Then the 3 amigos appeared. Turned out to be the front left bearing. Unfortunately you have to change the whole bloody hub, as the bearing isnt like a normal landy hub bearing and is built into the hub. But the abs sensor is also included with the new hub.

That should sort the christmas tree lights on the dash and the tranny whine.

If the tranny whine is still there, treat it to some quality oils from difflock. Mine has a full LR history and receipts for all the major services including axle oils changing. I checked em (cos i am paranoid) and i'm glad i did. The oil was like treacle. There is no way on earth they were changed when the service book said they were! Typical LR dealerships....

are you SURE the compressor aint working... do you have the button to change your ride height for offroading? if so, put it in low box and see if the suspension will go up. If it does, its working fine mate. if the compressor really is goosed - swap to coils and problem solved mucho cheaply!!!

When i got ours, i have to admit i was a bit worried about complexity and cost - but to be honest, they are fairly simple beasts and most apparently disparate faults are due to one simple thing failing.

Nick

If your compressor is stuffed or an air bag is gone switch to coils - costs the same as one air bag and a third that of a new compressor. Or find a second hand compressor from someone who has switched to coils. We have two lying around in the workshop but we are a long way from the UK :)

You'll notice if you have bag gone cause the thing sits on one side over night once pumped up.

Hi Jim , Juan here ( the chap with the green disco 1 in jukskeipark - had the steering recovered that you came to look at ) . Have just two weeks ago sold my old faithfull Disco 1 . After sorting out the original problems - had 4 1/2 years of good motoring on it . Swapped it last week for mint 2005 disco 2 XS

My neighbour has a 2001 disco 2 ES and left rear bag has collapsed - needs to be replaced - what is cost on this ? also noticed oil leak on rear drive shaft - at wheel . It appears to have an oil seal that causes the problem and am told by dealers that the whole shaft flange assembly has to be replaced at approx 5k a pop ?? why not only replace the oil seal / o ring ( I think part ref is TAY 100050 for complete unti)

brgrds

JNP

The list will only get longer trust me! mines also 2001 and 103k

Injector wiring loom cost less than £40 cheaper on e-bay and takes less than 1 hour to fit.

Remove the engine undertray to confirm where the coolant is leaking from plenty of pipes under there.

Mine is leaking from the core plug between cylinders 4 and 5 exhaust side my first job tomorrow morning, whole of nearside of the engine has red stains all over it cant wait.

From what i have read just the sensor on its own will not cure the problem need the whole hub as said.

Lynall

Hi Juan, I still haven't got around to having my steering wheel covered :)

New bag is about R2k - get from CCA in Kya Sands genuine part. Takes 5 mins to fit. Or we will fit springs for about R2200 incl labour and vat. Then the air pump can join the others we have lying about :D

I find it strange that in 2-odd years working on all sorts of Disco IIs we have not had to change one hub, either front or rear. We often 'fix' sensor problems by a technical tap with LR tool no 1.

I have come across so many horror stories, expensive ones at that, with TD5s that I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. And if your TD5 is an auto you should do two things: get it remapped so it actually goes, and don't tow anything large unless you change the ATF for synthetic. The box can't take the heat here and will fail expensively.

Just thought I'd cheer you up a bit ;)

Just a bit of an Update:

After having the garage clear the fault codes, the lights stayed out and I purchased a front ABS sensor and spent a couple of hours with my old man fitting it. The 3 amigos were still out after this and were perfectly o.k until a trip down to Heathrow yesterday and they all reappeared again on the M25. So, there probably wasnt much wrong with the sensor we removed.

Dreading going back to the garage again, just to get the faults read and cleared again, I decided to investigate getting a reader and clearer for myself. Pretty much decided to get a Nanocom, but they dont have any in stock in the UK until mid may :-( But I think this will be the way forward. At 200 quid, it'll pay for itself I'm sure and I think It'll be wise to read the codes before rushing in and changing anything else.

Still not tackled any of the other problems, except I have a wiring harness and gasket arriving from Paddock soon.

Thanks for the advice,

Neil.

Another Quick Update:

Took the car to a friend of a friend with a garage and a diagnostic tool, and oddly one of the faults thrown up again is the front left hand abs sensor - which we'd just changed.

Looks like we'll have to have the wheel off again and inspect that toothed ring properly and the sensor and see if anything looks wrong.

Also about to order some Airsprings from Paddocks as the diagnostics said that the compressor was working overtime trying to keep it inflated....I'd expected to have to change them though.

Neil.

Another Quick Update:

Took the car to a friend of a friend with a garage and a diagnostic tool, and oddly one of the faults thrown up again is the front left hand abs sensor - which we'd just changed.

Looks like we'll have to have the wheel off again and inspect that toothed ring properly and the sensor and see if anything looks wrong.

you sure you aint got a wheel bearing wearing out? that can cause the sensor - ring distance to change and throw up an error as the hub moves on the bearing play

Also about to order some Airsprings from Paddocks as the diagnostics said that the compressor was working overtime trying to keep it inflated....I'd expected to have to change them though.

good time to change to coily springs?