propane injection?

flatback90

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^ What Will said.

the kits are good for about 30~40bhp (on their own, i think) plus you can turn your fuelling up more, as the gas causes a complete burn of the fuel, and thus no (or little) black smoke comes out.

plus, you can stick a "T" piece on the top of the gas bottle and run a stove off of it too! thats what i'm going to do to my Td5 when its built.

then i can hoof it, and then cook some sausages whilst i wait for the RAC to arrive because i've melted my engine... :blink:

I've been considering one for my TD5 D-Lander, except i would be using a proper LPG tank rather than a normal propane camping bottle...still allows for cooking with some plumbing imagination tho!

propane is gonna be put on my challenge truck. i'm thining about trying to either modify a fire extinguisher or use the rear diagonals as a gas canister, a big old bottle of gas is a lot of space to find...

gas on full time through an event, solenoid on ignition, should be fine.

I don't think the diagonals will work, getting them gastight, with fittings etc would be hard, they wont hold much and putting pressurised explosive/flammable gas in a rollcage isn't particularly clever...imaging needing to weld on a bracket.....

the fire extinguisher is a slightly more feaable idea, at least it is a pressure vessel - but you can buy proper LPG tanks for peanuts and they come in all shapes and sizes....

propane is gonna be put on my challenge truck. i'm thining about trying to either modify a fire extinguisher or use the rear diagonals as a gas canister, a big old bottle of gas is a lot of space to find...

Bear in mind that if you plan on using LPG on a truck to be used in MSA insured competition you would be subject to the following:

13(d) if using LPG, conform with the Construction and Use Regulations, and also the LPG Industry Technical Association Code of Practice No.11.

Whatever that is... :ph34r:

I've added LPG to my 2.8tgv. Best move I've ever done. Economy has gone from 24mpg to 32.5!The power increase is fantastic. I've got it set at 15% LPG mix. I also added a rev counter to make sure I now don't over rev it and an EGT gaugue is going in to keep an eye on things. Not a cheap extra but on a truck doing 50,000miles a year, well worth it (I hope)

not fully checked about pressures, but coded welding for the fittings and caps is not a problem and a whole length of seemless tubing in a one-peice length, pressure section central to it should be fine. clearly the cage has to be subject to impact but if i think about the stresses in various directions during construction i should think that i could make it stronger than it needs to be.

short term tho, a fire extinguisher would be easier!!

not fully checked about pressures, but coded welding for the fittings and caps is not a problem and a whole length of seemless tubing in a one-peice length, pressure section central to it should be fine. clearly the cage has to be subject to impact but if i think about the stresses in various directions during construction i should think that i could make it stronger than it needs to be.

short term tho, a fire extinguisher would be easier!!

Im thinking small propane bottle, regulator, check valve, electronic solonoid valve conected to engine master kill, mecanical pressure switch operated by a second turbo waste gate actuator set at 13psi.

Gas would only be used under full power and would not be wasted at tickover. The system has primary and secondary safety system that would hopefully meet the regulations set out by the MSA.

Im thinking small propane bottle, regulator, check valve, electronic solonoid valve conected to engine master kill, mecanical pressure switch operated by a second turbo waste gate actuator set at 13psi.

Gas would only be used under full power and would not be wasted at tickover. The system has primary and secondary safety system that would hopefully meet the regulations set out by the MSA.

thats kinda what i had in mind!

Chris, spot on IMHO. You don't need the power much so you only need a small bottle. I'm going to have mine switched as well as I only think I'll need it for big hill climbs and speed sections.

As far as regs go I'd be interested to read more into those. The standard propane cylinders are to a pretty high standard - the only problem I can see is having a mounting that satisfies the regs.

And this in a L/R that the gearbox breaks on readily already?

do you need the extra power or just a nice to have?

A standard propane bottle wouldn't pass the LPG industry regs for fitting to a road car, nor would it pass an MOT or VOSA inspection, both on safety and tax reasons - the only way you can do it is with a proper LPG tank.

Here is a god idea of sizes and shapes available....http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html - they even do dinky fire extinguisher size ones!!

Guest diesel_jim
A standard propane bottle wouldn't pass the LPG industry regs for fitting to a road car, nor would it pass an MOT or VOSA inspection, both on safety and tax reasons - the only way you can do it is with a proper LPG tank.

Here is a god idea of sizes and shapes available....http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html - they even do dinky fire extinguisher size ones!!

WOuld it not pass MoT/VOSA stuff if it's connected to the engine?

what i mean is, camper vans have gas stoves/fridges fitted, so it must just be if the bottle is actually plumbed into the engine.... in which case i suppose you could just unplug the regulator off of the top of the bottle for MoT time? :ph34r::ph34r:

I couple of thoughts to add:

Firstly the MSA regulations talk about LPG systems (as in Liquified Petroleum Gas), but as far as remember (don't have my blue book at work!) don't make any mention of Liquid Propane Gas systems. The two systems do run very similar, but the storage bottles are obviously different.

Secondly, how would VOSA be able to refuse a Liquid Propane Gas system, as the majority of small fork lift trucks run an exclusively Propane system, using standard gas bottles and many are road registered?

Will can you actually remember driving your 90? :)

too much power and not enough strength is a bad combination

wouldn't you agree?

I do remember vaguely :lol: Hopefully I'll remind myself soon.

Yes, there can be an issue sometimes with too much power but every time I've broken something it’s been my fault. That's no reason not to upgrade as it does allow you to do some quite extraordinary things without your drivetrain going pop.

I couple of thoughts to add:

Firstly the MSA regulations talk about LPG systems (as in Liquified Petroleum Gas), but as far as remember (don't have my blue book at work!) don't make any mention of Liquid Propane Gas systems. The two systems do run very similar, but the storage bottles are obviously different.

Secondly, how would VOSA be able to refuse a Liquid Propane Gas system, as the majority of small fork lift trucks run an exclusively Propane system, using standard gas bottles and many are road registered?

One problem with your LPG and LPG....LPG is the generic name for commercial propane and commercial butane, so they are the same thing!!!

VOSA would kick your butt for using standard propane bottle on a car because its not duty paid, hence its the same as using red diesel for example, thus your car could be crushed.

MOT time, it would be doubtful to pass with a normal patio type bottle, fork lifts are not passenger vehicles, so dont have the same regs!

Guest diesel_jim
VOSA would kick your butt for using standard propane bottle on a car because its not duty paid, hence its the same as using red diesel for example, thus your car could be crushed.

Hmm... but what if, on a diesel, we're just adding propane to the engine, in the same way that nitrous is on a petrol?

It's not like we're trying to run the engines on it, just as a power boost.