LAY SHAFTS

kingdong

Hi all

does anyone know if the lay shaft in a s1 g/box is the same as the lay shaft in a s2a g/box as i am going to fit a 200tdi engine to my s2a landy and would like to use the s1 g/box as it has taller gears.

cheers gee.

Hi all

does anyone know if the lay shaft in a s1 g/box is the same as the lay shaft in a s2a g/box as i am going to fit a 200tdi engine to my s2a landy and would like to use the s1 g/box as it has taller gears.

cheers gee.

forgot to say the s1 g/box is a suffix A and the s2a g/box is a suffix F. both g/boxes are fully recon'd and have been fitted to a fully recon'd 2.25 petrol engine with o/d and fwhs and is fitted with 7.50s the landy has std diffs fitted.

cheers gee

You can fit your series 2a bellhouing onto the series 1 gearbox,but you need to use the 2a layshaft because the front bearing is larger. you can load all the seris 1 gears onto the 2a layshaft, but only 1st gear is different. Series 1 1st gear has 15 teeth verses 14 for the 2a. If I recall correctly the suffix F gearbox has a proper oil seal for the clutch release bearing assembly, and a smooth machined finish on the input shaft for the oil seal to ride on, verses the spiral oil slinger for the series 1 gearbox. If so then you will need to fit the 2A input shaft and layshaft front gear, or alternatively buy a series 2a suffix B or C unsealed clutch release bearing assembly. This will suit your series 1 input shaft if you so wish to retain that. Some series 1 boxes had a primary pinion and layshaft front gear with a different tooth count (higher ratio). so when mixing and matching be sure to keep the matching sets together.

Personal experiencewith 200 tdi's indicates that they are so gutless when off boost that a lower ratio set of indirect ratio's are more desirable than what you are proposing to do, particularly if you intend to do any towing or cross country driving in hilly terrain, and the 24 odd percent greater overall reduction of the 2a box in conjunction with the series 1 transfercase is what is really needed.

Bill.

2a at either C or D changed the layshaft & 2nd gears to a different type of longitudinal location which is not compatable with the earlier suffix's. Early was a split ring and late was raised lugs with a larger counterbore in the mating gear to clear the lugs.