My on board air

As it was on the old forum....plus I'm bored Wife watching Most Haunted.... :angry:

So where did it all start....from this picture really

onboardairreduced.jpg

Now where it came from I have no idea ???. but it was the seed from where it all this started !

(if its yours let me know and I'll credit it)

it had everthing I wanted and thats what I based my system on

First of all the Sanden compressor is from a Discovery 200Tdi(E-Bay £25) , using the standard mounting bracket, remove all the Air Con pipework and feed the compressor with a drip fed oiler(local Pnematics supplier £15)

I used an all metal type as the acylic bowl type degrade very quickly with the under bonnet temperatures, same type as used on a mains compressor.

I drip approx 6 drips per minute into the airflow to keep the compressor lubed(it normally uses the refrigerant). On top of the compressor is a threaded bung, this has now been tapped for a grease nipple and it gets a couple of pumps of high melting point grease after every event.

compressor.jpg

Here's a pic of the oiler leading in to the intake on the compressor, its pre filtered with an K&N type air filter mounted under the wing out of the way of most of the cr*p, this is important as to much dirt/water etc in the pump will wear it out very quickly.

oiler.jpg

Right,

On to the manifold this consists of several bends, and is obviously fed from the outgoing side of the compressor in a longish run of pipework to allow the air to cool before it reaches the following

1, A filter to take some of the oil mist out, (also all metal type)

2, A pressure guage,

3, A non return valve,

4 A pressure switch, This is fed from a switch in the dash which energises the magnetic clutch on the Air Con Pump, so it only runs when you want it to.The pressure switch opens once the system is up to pressure 120 Psi and de-energises the clutch, once air pressure drops below 80 Psi the switch makes and the cycle begins again

and a pressure release valve which operates at 150 Psi and stop the whole lot going bang

and finally a PCL fitting to run air tools this still has an oil mist so it lubricates the tools as you use it with out the need for an additional oiler

there are many ways to plumb this and how you do it depends really on where you are going to fit it and then work around the area you have, the list above just lists the main component parts

Total cost of pipework and fittings was around £30

it then runs underneath the truck to the rear tanks using 10mm bore PVC airline, I found using anything smaller restricted the airflow to much for the Impact Wrench to work correctly

manifold.jpg

The Tanks mounted under the rear came from a skip Lorry at the local scrappy for the princley sum of £10 for the pair including all the fittings and mountings I could get my hands on. they are fitted with poppet valves to allow water condensate to be bleed off. The tanks are plumbed it parallel with each other to provide a half decent sized reservoir.

the pipework runs back into the truck again using 10mm bore PVC Airline

tanks.jpg

Finally inside is another filter/regulator and Coalescating filter(Filter got from E-Bay-£20) to remove the last of the oil mist down to 20 Microns as this is to be used for Airing up the tyres etc (Does a 35 Inch Simex from 18 Psi to 30 in about 15 Seconds)

This regulator can also be used to feed the ARB's etc at the correct pressure and oil free to protect those rubber seals as well as inside the tyres.

inside2.jpg

With the tanks fitted and the output whilst the engine is running there is enough air to run a Rattle gun for wheel nuts and a air ratchet/drill or a even a grinder if required !

Hope this is of interest

Ben,

The oil only drip feeds when the compressor is switched on, IE drawing air through the oiler

Tom,

The fittings were sourced from the local phenumatics trade place, I took the two adjustable unions that fit on the back of the pump and they matched the size/thread eventually ! (be warned the inlet and outlet are different sizes) its some odd American size IIRC

No parts list other than the main component parts, due to the many, many different places its possible to fit everything and it's also dependant on what you buy/scrounge beg etc

Edited by Les Brock

Great info!

Do you have a parts list (heard the thread on the aircon pump is an odd size?) where did you get the fittings & pipework from?

Cheers

Tom

It's an easy job to remove the head from the compressor and cut off the odd flare fittings. You can than drill and tap the alloy head for standard size bsp fittings. There's some photos in the Tech Archive thread.

Paul

Neat Les, DeVilbiss, nothing but the blingyest stuff for you ;)

I have been seriously considering an Endless Air but cost is a consideration. Did you do much to the compressor itself other than what you have mentioned, I haven't opened one exactly like that but others that I have opened are very simple inside.

Haven't decided on tank/s location/s yet, do you mind letting me have the dimensions / volume as a guide, your setup obviously works well for most eventualities.

I intended to use oil used for diving air compressors, it doesn't affect either natual or synthetic rubber and is not harmful to breathe, should you want to :blink: , and does not dry out leaving sticky residues.

What size intake & hose did you use, I was considering using as big as I could fit, probably 20-25mm bore, reason being these compressors normally work with a suction feed of 3-4 bar and now it's drawing at atmospheric. In two minds whether to stuff the intake up the snorkel or create a second snorkel just for the breathers & the compressor (watch out for Geoff B I mentioned twin snorkels ;) ) any thoughts after your own experiences?

Edited by Niall_CSK

Neat Les, DeVilbiss, nothing but the blingyest stuff for you ;)

What size intake & hose did you use, I was considering using as big as I could fit, probably 20-25mm bore, reason being these compressors normally work with a suction feed of 3-4 bar and now it's drawing at atmospheric. In two minds whether to stuff the intake up the snorkel or create a second snorkel just for the breathers & the compressor (watch out for Geoff B I mentioned twin snorkels ;) ) any thoughts after your own experiences?

:lol: Mmmm yes DeVilbliss all for £25 inc delivery good old E-Blag, right place right time and I was the only bidder :D

Niall,

I fed the compressor in 25mm and 15mm to the filter, both rubber due to under bonnet temperatures(internal bores)

I'll get the sizes for you tommorow

Edited by Les Brock

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy