choosing a lower spec winch

pugwash

Looking at buying a leccy winch and have been looking around the £300-£400 mark. Winch needs to be reliable, strong, waterproofish. Not fussed about out right speed or current draw- it'll be running 24v anyway so that will help.

Seems to be a HUGE array out there at this price from unknown chinese stuff to well branded chinese stuff to second hand top market kit (ok warn but you get what i mean)

How the hell do i go about choosing?

You don't Mr Wash - you buy a used hydro one. I got my H14 easily in that budget.

:ph34r:

Errr, I'm working on that other thing, honest!

Al

:)

i've got 2 used hyrdo ones in the vapour shed i don't need another vapour winch thanks

(as to the other thing- dont fash yourself too much)

Hi Pugwash

We used a T-max for our first two years in winching competition's and a twin battery (65AH) set up.

The solenoids where carp and so the in/out switch but two rather huge solenoids from a fork lifter solved that and a super duper waterproof switch from RS.

Well it was slow but the winch it self never let us down, I did however get alot off rust and corrosion due to the carp cheap surface treatment or lack off it :(

We did though have one issue the fairleed got busted, that was before we learned where to weld it up so that it doesn't bent. Even a Warn leed will bent in the same place.

I have also seen the Come-Up take some beating.

Regards

Ole

Hi Pugwash

We used a T-max for our first two years in winching competition's and a twin battery (65AH) set up.

The solenoids where carp and so the in/out switch but two rather huge solenoids from a fork lifter solved that and a super duper waterproof switch from RS.

Well it was slow but the winch it self never let us down, it did however get a lot off rust and corrosion due to the carp cheap surface treatment or lack off it :(

We did though have one issue, the fairleed got busted, that was before we learned where to weld it up so that it doesn't bent. Even a Warn leed will bent in the same place.

I have also seen the Come-Up take some beating.

Regards

Ole

EP9 from Bowyer?? Even a new TDS in basic form is within your budget...

Goodwinch website...

My EP9 was quite happy hauling my old Range Rover around. Not exactly quick with that amount of weight hanging on it, but faster than a T-Max or Come-up. I've no experience with the TDS (yet...), but if you have a word with either Mr Bowyer or the HonitonHobbit, you'll gain the views of a couple of people that have given it a good going over!

HTH

Adrian

I think at the moment, the TDS is about the best option. It is just a better designed EP9 with a bit more waterproofing.

I've fitted an EP9 on my 110 (bought before TDS's came out) and I didn't expect it to be all that - but I was surprised and really impressed. It's pretty fast and pulls really well. On the basis of that - the next winch I buy will be a TDS (so long as Mr Bowyer remembers to bring it to James's Challenge on April 26th for me!). That will go on the rear of my S****i which is very low down (attached to the diff in fact) so needs a little waterproofing!

Si

My EP9 complained every time it got dunked.

The replacement TDS was faultless in the wet stuff in Wales on the Tuff Trophy. Managed to snap my new 11mm Plasma winching us out sideways after the clutch went on the night stage :rolleyes: