WINCH Question 24 volt through 12 volt motors

watson

hi

i need some advice from those that have done it

i would like to know some more about running 24 volts through 12 volts through xp motors on a gigglepinned 8274

does it work??

how long do the motors last??

is there anything else that needs to be different??

watson

well the link I posted is one with replies from those who really know.

unless your mate has plenty of cash to burn with XP at £250 a piece

I'd suggest x2 will supply all the pulling power he requires.

and no need for additional batteries and another alternator

Do it. It works and its brilliant. The failures are mainly due to over speeding the motors when paying line out as they tend to spin too fast. Otherwise they seem to be very reliable. Im going 24-12 on my twin motor. Jims running it now and it is awesome (sorry mods but it seemed a fitting word) to see working.

As Steve90 said, use 24V for power in and 12V for power out.

Also blow low pressure air through from the gear drive end to exhaust out the brush end. Removes some heat and, importantly, the great amount of carbon dust the xp motors produce from the brushes.

As Steve90 said, use 24V for power in and 12V for power out.

Also blow low pressure air through from the gear drive end to exhaust out the brush end. Removes some heat and, importantly, the great amount of carbon dust the xp motors produce from the brushes.

Watson, read what others have said (there's plenty if you google / search the forums). You need to watch motor speeds and motor temperature if pulling very hard. As Bushie said air 'cooling' is a smart move as is pneumatic freespool (talk to Jim) and / or a drum brake (ie off the drum not a drum brake as such). Also, Gigglepin off a range of top housing ratios to suit over volting applications. I chose +13% but may go up to +25% later.

12v and 24V in is also a smart move.

how many batteeries are you running per winch 2 or 4??

watson

Per winch!!!! 2 total, job done! Get the right batteries and the right alternator and you're away. More batteries mean more weight. More weight means you need more power used. More power used means more batteries needed..... As Colin Chapman said "Just add lightness"

I've got 2 x yellow top optima's (I've always been happy with them) and the world's largest alternator (its 90 amp but it gives it at nice low revs B) ) to go on mine.

Per winch!!!! 2 total, job done! Get the right batteries and the right alternator and you're away. More batteries mean more weight. More weight means you need more power used. More power used means more batteries needed..... As Colin Chapman said "Just add lightness"

I've got 2 x yellow top optima's (I've always been happy with them) and the world's largest alternator (its 90 amp but it gives it at nice low revs B) ) to go on mine.

the only thjing i was thinking was if you draine the batterys then the alternator will be under alot of load

but we had realised weight was an issue specially as he is running three winches 3 yellow tops and two red tops at the moment

watson

the only thjing i was thinking was if you draine the batterys then the alternator will be under alot of load

but we had realised weight was an issue specially as he is running three winches 3 yellow tops and two red tops at the moment

watson

you dont need that many batteries!!!

I use 2 optima 5.5 blue tops (same as yellow!) and 2x 100amp 12v alternators and i dont ever flatten my batteries using a gigglepin twinmotor top housing with +40 gears, XP motors and .70mm cable.

The 12v system on my truck is very fast and reliable. However 24v through 12v motors is even faster and as Jim's proven its reliable, if Mr Turner put's 24v through his XP's you can probably guess what im going to do :unsure::)

so if i wanted to run 12 out and 24 in i would have two seperate circuits on seperate swithches, and i could run the power ou toff of the rear winch as it doesnt use alot of power paying out

??

watson

You have separate switches now (in and out), for the control circuit - so no more switches needed. The solenoids are what switch the power circuit.

The control circuit can be all 12V - just use 12V solenoids.