LPG install + welding = help!

FridgeFreezer

I need to do some welding to the rear body X-member on a certain green RRC.

I really want to remove the rear wing to get access but as well as the fuel filler, there's also an LPG filler in the wing which is plumbed in with rigid copper pipe <_< . In such a way that you can't remove it from the panel without disconnecting the pipe :angry: which I'm guessing would let all the little LPG's out all over the shop :o

So, is there usually any way of shutting off the feed to the filler pipe, or a safe way of de-pressurising an LPG install?

Hi Fridge,

The filler tube is isolated from the tank by a one way valve , so all you will get is the LPG in the filler line, it might be wise to take the tank out tho just for added safety, the feed line is shut off by the tank solenoid so again there will be a hiss :blink: from the LPG in the feed line but the tank will be shut.

Hopefully some else will confirm this, but thats what i know....we already have one Rocketeer on here so probably don't need any others :lol:

Cheers

Steveb

Guest WALFY

As stated above. You should only lose the gas in the fill pipe. There should be a solonoid on the tank that only opens when 12v is applied

What they ^ said.

I did mine last year, wing off. Left the filler attached to the wing, disconnected the pipe. A tiny puff of gas was all I got, I left the garage door open all day whilst I was stripping out. The welding is done, I'm still here, so's the car.

As above :)

I've had an LPG freeze burn from a dodgy pump before, and it's surprising painful :o

Just to make you suitably fearful, those LPG cylinders hold more propane than triggered the Piper Alpha disaster (or so I'm told by my Dad, who's an oil industry engineer). It's probably still safer than welding near a petrol tank :)