300 Tdi Lost its Oooomph?

Warthog

The 300tdi in my 90, has seemed of lost its Oooomph?

I can wind it up to 60mph and thats its, foot on floor? Somethings not right? I can usually cruise (speedo reading) at around 65, 70 is easily?

I have checked the pipe work of the turbo, all seem o.k. Is there a way to check the wastegate is working and actuator in situ?

I am assuming its the Turbo? But where else should i be checking?

Any advice to help diagnose what is wrong would be mucho gratis ;)

Cheers

Guest diesel_jim

Check the boost pressure of the turbo, also (more than likely) the fuel lift pump. when they start to die there is a marked lack of enthusiasm from the engine.

start the engine, loosen the bleed screw on the top of the filter housing (under the bonnet, RH wing), fuel should squirt out. if nothing, remove the bung totally. if no fuel pumps out then a good chance the lift pump is knackered.

Have you pulled the turbo pipework off or just given it an external visual check? If not, pull it off and check for delimination.

Lift pump's a good shout although also check the adjustment of the throttle cable on the FIP. This can sometimes work loose meaning your not getting full throttle. Its an easy and quick check to make so you might as well....

lift pump is only about £40 for a good pattern part (Bearmach or similar) so it might be worth changing anyway... if your engine has done over 100k on the original its probably on its last legs..

Brand new Beermach pumps are £20 delivered (about £16.50 not including P&P) on eBay.

I bought one last night.

:)

You can check the operation of the waste-gate by carefully moving a blowing airline closer to the open end of the little pipe that runs into the actuator - as you get close you should see the actuator move the waste-gate over. Mine was seized solid, but with a little help and some silicon spray I got it moving again...

Check the boost pressure of the turbo, also (more than likely) the fuel lift pump. when they start to die there is a marked lack of enthusiasm from the engine.

start the engine, loosen the bleed screw on the top of the filter housing (under the bonnet, RH wing), fuel should squirt out. if nothing, remove the bung totally. if no fuel pumps out then a good chance the lift pump is knackered.

Well just got around to checking the Lift Pump from your advice. No fuel at all came out, so ordered a new Lift Pump and go from there.

Cheers Jim and all :i-m_so_happy:

Right, i have replaced the Lift Pump as it was not working, Checked all pipe work and all in good condition. Turbo Boost pressure is at 1 Bar when under load, fresh fuel filter too.

But there still seems to be no getting past the 60mph?

So next test was to see if the Actuator was moving the wastegate linkage?

The Actuator would not move the wastegate linkage once a 1 bar pressure was plumbed to it. So stripped Manifold/Turbo assembly from block. Disconnected the Actuator from the Wastegate lever and managed to free up the wastegate which was a little sticky . Then tested the Actuator, using a controlled pressure. Found that it would not actuate unless a pressure of 1.5 Bar was present.

I assume the actuator should move the linkage between 0.8 and 1 bar?

Can you purchase the Actuator as a spare part?

Am i leading myself up the garden path?? ;-)

Cheers

If you're getting 1 bar boost under load then the turbo/wastegate are working ok.

Has this drop in performance happened suddenly or has it been a gradual drop off ?

What is the performance like through the gears ? Is it getting to max revs ?

Lots of things can cause this, have you checked the basics, when were the valve clearances last done, stretched timing belt, pump timing slightly out ? Does it smoke at idle or under load ?