what these straps like

i have the 30000lb one. no recovering of truck needed yet but i have had to pull 2 trees. one out of a road and one into a fire and it seemed pritty usefull. but do be carefull. i have seen some clubs dont allow the use of straps and only a 28mm rope :angry:

i have the 30000lb one. no recovering of truck needed yet but i have had to pull 2 trees. one out of a road and one into a fire and it seemed pritty usefull. but do be carefull. i have seen some clubs dont allow the use of straps and only a 28mm rope :angry:

Really??? What clubs are these, seems ridiculous.

Question is are they stretchy recovery straps or just normal webbing?

Some clubs don't allow straps for recovery because most of them are lifting straps and as such have zero stretch - snatching with them (and people do) puts huge shock loads on recovery points compared to a rope with a bit of give in it.

It's one of those rules that penalises some because of the actions of the stupid :rolleyes: same with KERRs, many places ban them because people can't be trusted with them.

Question is are they stretchy recovery straps or just normal webbing?

Some clubs don't allow straps for recovery because most of them are lifting straps and as such have zero stretch - snatching with them (and people do) puts huge shock loads on recovery points compared to a rope with a bit of give in it.

It's one of those rules that penalises some because of the actions of the stupid :rolleyes: same with KERRs, many places ban them because people can't be trusted with them.

I know this is gonna be seen as a stupid question but i gotta ask as i can't work it out...

How can a kerr be used dangerously ??

They seem like a logical thing to use really.

That'd pretty much be the opinion of everyone who shouldn't use them.

KERRs store energy, that's how they work.

If you secure a KERR to a poor recovery point, that energy may be released by projecting a few KG lump of steel directly at the head of the driver of either vehicle, not fun.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using them properly, with bomb-proof recovery points, and putting the energy into the rope slowly and progressively (not hooning off at 20mph), and letting it work to pull the stuck vehicle out.

The trouble is, you can buy a KERR, and use it, without any consideration or knowledge of how it works, what can go wrong, and how to do it properly, and you have no control over the quality of the recovery point on the other vehicle - and that's the one that'll be flying towards you if it all goes wrong.

That'd pretty much be the opinion of everyone who shouldn't use them.

KERRs store energy, that's how they work.

If you secure a KERR to a poor recovery point, that energy may be released by projecting a few KG lump of steel directly at the head of the driver of either vehicle, not fun.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using them properly, with bomb-proof recovery points, and putting the energy into the rope slowly and progressively (not hooning off at 20mph), and letting it work to pull the stuck vehicle out.

The trouble is, you can buy a KERR, and use it, without any consideration or knowledge of how it works, what can go wrong, and how to do it properly, and you have no control over the quality of the recovery point on the other vehicle - and that's the one that'll be flying towards you if it all goes wrong.

oh yeah ... never thought of it like that ... Cheers!

Its worth pointing out though that its not just KERRs that can catpult recovery points. I've seen it done with a standard ropes and drivers with lead weight feet. Every material has some stretch and will store energy, its just some stretch and store more than others.