What size workshop press needed for bushes?

Hi, consider to get a basic workshop press as they are relatively cheap. Main question, what size workshop press needed to press rubber bushes out of the suspension & steering parts? 6000kg, 10000kg, 12000kg or more?

Cheers

Marco

Machinemart sell a 10-ton hydraulic bench press, which should be sufficient to do the bushes (I plan to get one this year).

Next size up is a floor standing 15-ton press.

I used to use a Record engineers vice to replace bushes until it snapped! :(

Les.

Hi, consider to get a basic workshop press as they are relatively cheap. Main question, what size workshop press needed to press rubber bushes out of the suspension & steering parts? 6000kg, 10000kg, 12000kg or more?

Cheers

Marco

Hi Marco,

Whenever I've had to change bushes I've used a bench vice (4" Jaws) and a couple of suitably sized sockets. Works perfectly and doesn't cost a bean!

Cheers,

Gunny.

I think the record at work is a bit over 40 tons to pop a bush out, depends on which bush, how long it has been in there, whether it was fitted with a smear of grease when pressed in and consequently how much corrosion is holding it in place!

5-10 tons is pretty normal to move them so a 10 ton press will do "most" jobs - a good set of tools to fit into the bushes properly is more important IMHO

Machinemart sell a 10-ton hydraulic bench press, which should be sufficient to do the bushes (I plan to get one this year).

Next size up is a floor standing 15-ton press.

I used to use a Record engineers vice to replace bushes until it snapped! :(

Les.

On evilbay there are a couple of shops who come in far cheaper than machine mart. Obviously not professional quality, but neither are machine mart

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law who a landscape contractor and former mechanic has just traded a load of landscaping for a 50T press and a 2 post lift! Made maintenance of my vehicles much easier, not got press over 10T yet though.

Hi

Try and avoid getting one of the ones which is a bottle jack with return springs, they are rubbish, get one with a proper ram like the machinemart ones, if your patient you can geta nice sealy one off ebay for the same as a clarke one from mm, I too have had the joy of maxing out my friends press on the a frame bushes, dont know what rating it was but its in a factory that makes factories and its about the size of a small van! gas axe fixed it though :lol:

Mike

Hi

Try and avoid getting one of the ones which is a bottle jack with return springs, they are rubbish

Just bought one of those...... Would not buy it again (as it is not very accurate) but I di manage to get some bushes out and in :-)