200 TDI Coolant Leak

Mark

When I got the disco there was a small puddle of blueish water underneath which seemed to be eminating from the pipe on the bottom of the waterpump. On further investigaion, it would seem that the leak is actually coming from somewhere round the waterpump gasket.

My question is; is this just a case for a new gasket, or would it be worth my while putting a new water pump on while I am at it? I have gathered that they are prone to going and casuing overheating problems (which I really dont want :( )

Advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Mark

[i am asking this specific to my 1991 Disco, but I guess it applies to any 200 TDI - Mods feel free to move this to the disco section if you feel it would be better there]

Edited by Mark

If the pump seal had gone then the drip would be coming from directly behind the flange that the fan is bolted to. If it's definitely coming from the gasket joint then just replace the gasket. There are some right cheapo thin paper gaskets on the market, but the right one should be quite thick. Be very careful of the three bolts on the right hand side of the pump that form a triangle - these have a bad habit of snapping off flush with the block. There's also a core plug behind the timing case that leaks too, so make sure you know where the coolant is coming from.

Les. :)

No, more careful examination of the source of the leak to be sure where it's coming from really.

In that small area there are 4 places you can loose coolant.

1) core plug

2) small triangular gasket (see the three bolts in a triangle) between the timing case and block.

3) water pump shaft seal

4) water pump gasket

OK, so I have been and had a good look, and I think I have come to a conclusion (and a question...):

waterpumpdiagnosis.jpg

[incidentally, this was taken looking up, from underneath]

This seems to indcate that there is water coming from the bottom of the waterpump housing, through the hole which I have arrowed. Therefore, new waterpump required methinks.

The other thing I noticed was that there is a hole in the bottom of the timing case - should this have a plug in of some description, for wading and the like?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Mark

This seems to indcate that there is water coming from the bottom of the waterpump housing, through the hole which I have arrowed. Therefore, new waterpump required methinks.

Yes, you'll need a new water pump, :(

The other thing I noticed was that there is a hole in the bottom of the timing case - should this have a plug in of some description, for wading and the like?

should be open as it is to allow any oil leaks or water to drain out, to prevent contamination of the timing belt, only need to fit the wading plug before wading, plug part number is erc7295, :D there's a similar hole on the bottom of the clutch housing, this should be open as well except when wading, the same plug fits.

Edited by western

RALPH IS WRONG!!

only kidding - he's right really :)

Bloody hell, I nearly fell off me chair!!! Ralph wrong on a part number - couldn't happen?!?!? :P:D

Cheers for the advice chaps. I will order some wading plugs, and a new water pump.

I guess it's the usual suspects for parts, but is there an option of genuin or pattern? Is there any difference if there is for this sort of thing?

Cheers

Mark

Bloody hell, I nearly fell off me chair!!! Ralph wrong on a part number - couldn't happen?!?!? :P:D

Cheers for the advice chaps. I will order some wading plugs, and a new water pump.

I guess it's the usual suspects for parts, but is there an option of genuin or pattern? Is there any difference if there is for this sort of thing?

Cheers

Mark

Just Les's little joke :lol::lol:

Changed my water pump last year, I fitted a Allmakes new one.

A Discovery 200Tdi version is RTC6395 :D

Edited by western

:lol::unsure::lol::lol::huh::lol::angry::lol::lol:

Just phoned Land Rover dealer for price on a genuine water pump £115 +VAT +£40 surcharge untill you return the old one!!!

Guess it will be a pattern one after all - I guess should aviod bearmach ones then...

Anyone know whose pump (cr/p)addocks supply?

ta

Mark

:D

incidentally, craddocks was an allmakes one. Since paddocks cocked up my last order I thoguht I would give craddocks a go this time... crapaddocks indeed...

Mark

Edited by Mark