That's one hell of a luck escape for most!!!!

Guest MJG

Dear me - that is one hell of a fire in Hemel Hemstead is it not, all that fuel going up in flames and how the heck they got away with nobody killed is a miracle. 2 serious injuries yes but it could have been a lot worse.

Of course the sheep were out brimming their tanks within an hour of the news breaking... idiots....yes of course there will be fuel shortage if we all go out and brim our tanks... numpty's. :angry:

Sorry rant over I feel better now...... :rolleyes:

Fire set to burn for days and mor explosions to come but er the Police spokesman says it's 'under control', seemingly not a lot you can do in this situation other than let it burn and contain it.....

I've some friends who live fairly close to that fuel terminal, phoned them this morning to check if they were OK which they are :D mate said it felt like a earthquake at 6am, nobody knew what had happened. :o

really scarey for all concerned, and glad nobody was killed.

and also over 100 "brave" coppers as well, must be on overtime. Once upon a time there was a fire, it was a big fire, it was put out. The End.

Chadler,

I was going to post a reply to the above comment - but as I don't want to lower myself to that level I won't bother.

Get a life.

Matt

[marvin martian voice]

What was the colossal kaboom?

[/marvin martian voice]

I think we should ban fuel depots, they cause even more pollution to the environment than 4x4s :ph34r:

Incredibly lucky that nobody was killed - partly the time of day I guess.

Muppets ... yeah ... heard on the radio that the fuel companies had said there would be no shortages and therefore no need to panic buy and thought to myself that many will have heard the word "shortage" and missed the rest of the report having left the house at full tilt heading for the nearest petrol station....

They said on the news this morning it registered as an earthquake magnitude 2.4 on the Richter scale :o

and also over 100 "brave" coppers as well, must be on overtime. Once upon a time there was a fire, it was a big fire, it was put out. The End.

This is a rather large fire, in fact I believe they have said it is the largest fire of it's type that the UK has seen in peacetime. Putting it out is not the end as then the difficult task of clearing up and reconstruction starts.

Grow up, muppet.

I'm sure that in your line of work, when something 'catastrophic' occurs it's along the lines of your coffee machine breaking down.

Coppers are real people, you know. Family issues, the fact that they've done a 12 hour shift, they're hungry, they're tired etc don't matter a hoot. EVERYONE stays until such a time as the incident has been resolved to a satisfactory conclusion, and until all the general moaning public (i.e YOU) are all back home, safe and well.

How would YOU react if your employer told you that you had to stay on for another 14 hours after you'd finished your 9-5 for the day? Moan? I bet you would.....

Let's see you do a better job, or at least contribute something, instead of sitting in your nice warm office moaning about a much higher standard of person that I'm sure you're actually quite jealous of.

[/RANT OFF]

I'm sure that in your line of work, when something 'catastrophic' occurs it's along the lines of your coffee machine breaking down.

:)

Made me smile anyway - puts it in perspective a bit!

There was a police (I think) chap on TV yesterday 'suggesting' that people did not go out & panic buy fuel - which I did think, owing to the general public dis-trust of anything official - would probably just make people all the more likely to do it!

Si

I was born and lived not too far away for donkeys years so know the depot well. I imagine there was real potential for casualty figures to have been much higher.

why? these would have been sited to be deliberately away from population e.g. housing, roads etc. The only folks that would have been injured would be those on site. Dunno why the muppets went out to buy up petrol since the fuel is for aricraft and nowt to do with cars. Go figure.

re:Our coffee machine has broken down actually, must be all the sand in the tent i've been living in for 5 months without a day off. Must go now, my helicopter has arrived.

Tent.. Tent you lucky B---er grass slope is all I've had for 2years, working 8days a week 30hrs a day without a lunch break :lol:

why? these would have been sited to be deliberately away from population e.g. housing, roads etc. The only folks that would have been injured would be those on site. Dunno why the muppets went out to buy up petrol since the fuel is for aricraft and nowt to do with cars. Go figure.

Government policy now is to build houses "where-ever", just like the houses they are about to build within 1 mile of an RAF airfield bomb-dump which houses 2,000 lb bombs et cetera, MoD complained due to safety issues but government over-ruled.

The Guvunment have your well-being at heart, honest ;)

Errrr but the Buncefield depot is really quite close to the motorway and residential areas.

Kingsbury Depot is not only real close to the M42, but sits slap between Kingsbury and Piccadilly villages in Warwickshire/Staffordshire border. I think they actually don't expect there to be any accidents, but have what I suppose can only be describes as a blast area around the Depot. I would estimate that the first houses are less than 1/2 mile from the Depot, so they would be flattened if a similar accident occurred there.

Just for Diesel Jim - The Handy Gas bottling plant in Purton has the 'weak end' of the main storage tank pointing almost dead towards the village. :)

Les. :)

Handbags at the ready.........

Go :P

Running :ph34r:

Jim :)

Ps: Heard the double boom Sunday morning....... I was near Corby? Thought it was vandals :rolleyes:

..... didn't mean to start a war.......

Chill out folks....