So what type of defender is this?

pls see link:

http://cars.auto.ru/cars/used/sale/1282730.html

These are being sold in Moscow for 40K USD and it states that it is a 2007 model year with a 3.0 liter TD (2.4 engine only one available?). The hood is not from an '07 but that could be because of the spare tire holder. So would the puma engine fit in without the buldge? Also the interior does not look like it is from the new model. Maybe these were to be sold in some other country but were purchased here as a lot. This often happens in Russia. Other than paying lots of duties and taxes on cars, it is fairly easy to bring cars in from pretty much anywere. Anyone with any ideas?

Adrian

Guest WALFY

The PUMA engine won't fit under a standard bonnet. Not sure but I think that the engine fitted looks extremely like a 300TDI or TD5. Never looked at a TD5 though so could be comlete rubbish. The dash fitted is of TD5 era. Not the new PUMA style. Also there are vents in the bulkhead, this points to it being a TD5 or earlier model.

$20K is about 10K strerling. Not bad if they are brand new.

Looks more like a bog standard ROW spec 300Tdi with air conditioning to me - I have 2 sat up in the yard at the moment which look just like those.

Probably wrong info on the site. The Puma will not fit without the new bonnet AFAIK and the rest of the vehicle is certainly 2006 model or earlier.

Looks more like a bog standard ROW spec 300Tdi with air conditioning to me - I have 2 sat up in the yard at the moment which look just like those.

Probably wrong info on the site. The Puma will not fit without the new bonnet AFAIK and the rest of the vehicle is certainly 2006 model or earlier.

Pardon my ignorance but what is ROW spec? And are 300tdi still made new? From lurking on this site(300tdi, vs. td5 vs puma debate), and if they truly are 300tdi, sounds like this is the "perfect" defender to get, i.e. few electronics, etc...

My guess is that the person who filled in the add details mistakenly interpreted "Defender 300 tdi" as being a Defender having a TD 3 liter engine.

Almost certainly correct I would say - 3.00 TDI!

I hadn't noticed the little picture of the engine bay the first time I looked, it took a long time to load for some reason - but having seen that it is definitely a 300Tdi, no question. As Ralph said I have one, and for the benefit of those who do not know the 300Tdi was continued in limited production until 2006 model year and was discontinued at the same time as the Td5, before the Puma started production. There are still a few around, any colour as long as it is White and mostly with air con.

Rest of World spec covers all the minor markets that do not have a dedicated country spec and are mostly African markets and possibly a few in Latin America. And one British one :)

It is in many ways the perfect Defender to get, as the only electronics in mine (late 2006 model year) are the VHF transceiver and the CD player :)

Basically it is a non-EGR 300Tdi engine with a mechanical injector pump (i.e. no EDC) mated to a late spec R380 gearbox, late spec LT230 transfer box, and the same axles as a late Td5 i.e. the post 2002 Wolf axle on the rear. The chassis is basically Td5 except for the engine mounts, wiring is a hybrid but mostly Td5, and the instruments are the later Td5 type. They are available with whizzy bits like electric windows and central locking but most of the ones here have none of that nor any alarms/immobilisers.

They were sold here as a 'kalahari', for some reason the csw had rubber mats instead of carpets. For the rest, the spec is as above by Bogmonster. The only owner of one I met had changed from a TD5 and was very happy with it.

The PUMA engine won't fit under a standard bonnet. Not sure but I think that the engine fitted looks extremely like a 300TDI or TD5. Never looked at a TD5 though so could be comlete rubbish. The dash fitted is of TD5 era. Not the new PUMA style. Also there are vents in the bulkhead, this points to it being a TD5 or earlier model.

$20K is about 10K strerling. Not bad if they are brand new.

Walfy your sums are correct but the input info is wrong, they are on offer for $40000 not $20000.

Not such a good deal.

John

Walfy your sums are correct but the input info is wrong, they are on offer for $40000 not $20000.

Not such a good deal.

John

Correct, and the new puma (in Russia) is also going for about 40K usd. Which is why I also think the 300tdi is a little steep. If one had to choose between the puma and the 300tdi FOR the same price - 40k usd. which one??

Adrian

Daskoff,

For the same money I'd take the Puma :) I've only had a short drive in TJ101s Puma but that was enough to convince me :)

Mo

Yeah, that's what I thought. Now will have to wait for a bit until the newness wears off to get them cheaper. I've seen a few on the used market but still a bit steep. I have a '07 Touareg 2.5 TDI for my daily driver so I am looking for something I can take off road and not worry about scratching (plus all the goddies I can add on).... Not much choice in Moscow for Defenders. Only about 35 for sale. A few '07s and the rest Td5s.

Adrian